Deanaland

Monday, March 19, 2007

Heirlooms

The other day, I got all my china and crystal unpacked and into our hutch. This stuff has been in boxes since August so it was nice to see it all again. So I'm going to show some of it to you.

This is part of an eggshell china tea set my grandparents brought back from Japan in the mid-1950s. My grandpa had been serving in the military in Tokyo. It's called eggshell china because the china is very thin and delicate. The teacups are extremely fragile, so I keep them put up.

My grandparents and my 8-year-old mom came home with something else from Japan: an 18-month-old boy they adopted. He's now my Uncle Ed.

This cookie jar belonged to my great-grandmother on my dad's side. I'm not sure how old it is, but my great-grandparents were married around the turn of the century -- so it could be from the late 1800s.

This is part of a demitasse set I got at my bridal shower in 1993. Julia and I used to have tea parties with it and when she was four, she asked if she could have it when she grows up. I said yes. I guess Jenna will have to register for her own.

Some of our wedding china and crystal on display in the hutch.

And this rare piece. Are these plates so exquisite and old that they've been mounted in a frame to keep them safe? No, I got this at Target when they were closing their Global Bazaar stuff out. I scored it for six bucks. Hey, not everything has to be an heirloom!

Labels: , , ,

3 Comments:

  • At Mon Mar 19, 08:28:00 PM, Blogger Kelly said…

    What great stories to go with your china. Mine is sitting in a hutch and has been used twice in almost 8 years!

     
  • At Tue Mar 20, 03:58:00 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    I don't use my china very much, either. My set--which has lost pieces over the years--first belonged to my grandmother. It was a gift from my father to her when he came back from Korea.

    I noticed you and I were married in the same year. My 14th anniversary will be October 9th.

     
  • At Wed Mar 21, 12:33:00 AM, Blogger mom23 said…

    I'm so glad you are enjoying your new home and getting settled! I'm also impressed with how you have your hutch displaying your china so nicely! I can't figure out how to get the dishes to look "displayed" in mine.

     

Post a Comment

<< Home