Deanaland

Monday, March 12, 2007

Back in the day

Yesterday was an extra-fun Sunday because I got to hang out with Marcia, a friend of mine from long ago. Marcia and I met the summer my family moved to Beaumont, TX, between 6th and 7th grade. We met at Camp Red Oak Springs and she was really my first southeast Texas friend. We stayed friends through junior high -- and even survived liking the same guy (who later married our other friend, Carol). And we stayed friends through high school even though we went to different churches and schools and lived 30 minutes apart. We had a lot of hilarious times together, but I can't really think of a funny story that would be appropriate to share here. I will say that one story involved a bra tied to a car antenna during a drive through Beaumont. Whose bra was it? And why was it there? I'LL NEVER TELL.

Anyway, we roomed together our freshman year at ACU, and then different majors and life in general took us different directions and we eventually lost touch.

We got back in touch recently, and it turns out Marcia's husband is from Little Rock and his parents still live here. So Marcia and her family came up for spring break and she and their oldest daughter met us at church on Sunday. Marcia was something of a celebrity at our church because quite a few of our members used to go to church with her in-laws and knew her husband when he was a kid. So all these people were chasing her down saying "You're Greg's wife! I used to babysit him!" It was pretty cool. Then Marcia and Eva came to our house and we hung out all afternoon. Our girls played while Marcia and I looked at photo albums and caught up on the last 17 (!!!) years. We even called the guy we both used to like and his wife Carol (who is my best friend, so it was OK) and harassed them during their Walt Disney World trip.

Marcia and I plan to see more of each other since they travel up here pretty often. Who knows -- maybe she'll pull into my driveway with a bra flapping from her car's antenna.

Labels: , ,

6 Comments:

  • At Mon Mar 12, 10:21:00 PM, Blogger chrylis said…

    Marcia, Eva, and Greg... are you by any chance talking about my friends the Straughns? If so, my hellos to them... and if not, what are the odds?

     
  • At Mon Mar 12, 10:30:00 PM, Blogger Deana Nall said…

    Yep, Christopher -- small world, huh?

     
  • At Tue Mar 13, 10:58:00 AM, Blogger Aggiema (Michelle) said…

    I remember Camp Red Oak Springs, I always went to Bro. Davis' session and Bruce Lewis from Orange was always a counselor there. Bruce ended up officiating my wedding, years later!

    Old friends are the best!

     
  • At Wed Mar 14, 06:28:00 AM, Blogger Brian said…

    tell Marcia I said hello.

     
  • At Wed Mar 14, 09:37:00 AM, Blogger Mary Lou said…

    I went to Camp Red Oak Springs as a kid too, and I knew John Davis too. Yes, that camp has been around a long time. I knew some people from Orange too. That is my birthplace.

    Close friends that knew us "back in the days" are so worth keeping. They're the ones I feel like know me best. I'm glad that you got to spend some time with your good friend, Deana.

     
  • At Thu Mar 15, 07:43:00 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    Your friend's name is Marcia, her hubby is Greg...I smell a Brady Bunch joke in there somewhere, but Madly Squealing Teething Baby is not going to give me a moment's peace to work it out...

     

Post a Comment

<< Home