Deanaland

Monday, November 28, 2005

Love of My Life #2

Tommy Stevenson was my best friend in kindergarten. We went to the same school and church, which put us together six days a week. I absolutely loved Tommy. Not really a romantic kind of love, but as deep a friendship love as a 5-year-old is capable of.

I don't remember not having fun with Tommy. We were always laughing together and having a great time. His parents owned a ranch outside Roswell, New Mexico, and I loved going out there. I even got to spend the night out there a couple of times. I was intrigued by the fact that Tommy's mom had to drive a good ten minutes up to the highway just to check their mail.

There was something wrong with Tommy's legs. I never knew what it was, but it was very noticeable when he walked. I was curious about that, but my mom had told me that under no circumstances was I to ever ask Tommy about his legs, and was she making herself clear?

I utterly adored Tommy. He wasn't rough and mean like a lot of the other boys were. He was a little cowboy. He always wore Wranglers and boots and a belt with a big silver buckle. I didn't even have any girlfriends in kindergarten. I didn't need them. I had Tommy. He was a lot more fun, anyway.

"I love Tommy," I used to tell my mom. "When I grow up, I'm going to marry him and push him around in his wheelchair." I figured that if his legs were as bad as they were at age 5, they probably wouldn't work at all by the time he was grown up.

We moved away after that year. I don't know what ever happened to Tommy. I certainly hope he's not in a wheelchair. He's probably living on a ranch somewhere. I hope life has been good to him. I just loved that boy.

8 Comments:

  • At Tue Nov 29, 05:35:00 AM, Blogger Scott & Erica said…

    Deana,

    Hey Deana. You left a post on my blog. Yes! I am your husband's ACU roommate. Looking at your blog you I was catching up on Chad you and the fam. You have a BEAUTIFUL family. Looks like God has been doubly good to you.

    Tell Chad Hi for me. I always appreciated him and respected the kind of man he is.

    God Bless
    Scott

     
  • At Tue Nov 29, 06:06:00 AM, Blogger elizabeth said…

    Aren't kindergarten romances the best?!

    Mine was Jonathan from next door. We played Luke and Leia together every day. It was a match made in heaven!

     
  • At Tue Nov 29, 06:37:00 AM, Blogger Jacinda said…

    You must find all of these people, Deana! I really want to know what happened to all of your past loves.

    And who is this Scott guy saying he was Chad's roommate?!?! My husband was Chad's roommate! Only kidding....I know they weren't roommates the whole time; I was just curious as to who he was.

     
  • At Tue Nov 29, 06:58:00 AM, Blogger Deana Nall said…

    Hey, Jacinda -- that's Scott Meyer. He and Chad roomed with Matt Thompson Chad's junior year and their senior year in one of those two-story townhouses on Bruce Way.

    One memory from that year -- Matt came home one day and caught Chad and me making out! So embarrassing!

     
  • At Tue Nov 29, 01:34:00 PM, Blogger Kelley said…

    My Kindergarten boyfriend's name was Chuck Cutts. I've always thought that was the funniest name. Even sounds funny when you say it out loud.

     
  • At Tue Nov 29, 05:06:00 PM, Blogger Olivia said…

    Deana,

    Thank you for such a sweet comment. It really means a lot to me that people, those whom I know, and then especially others actually read such depth of my experiences. I have gone through a lot, but I am determined not to allow those events to define who I am. It is hard, nothing less than a trial in each day. I have seen extreme pain, sorrow, and have felt the depth of suffering. But I have also seen great joy, experienced such wonderful and sincere love. I pray I can learn more each day, that maybe someone may understand how much love means.

    Be Blessed today. Your family is beautiful and I love your writings. I will be back!

    With Hope,
    Olivia

     
  • At Wed Dec 14, 08:45:00 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    deana--
    I never have had a boyfriend. and I I am a quarter of a century Old!!!!

     
  • At Mon Apr 03, 01:16:00 PM, Blogger WinSpin said…


    Dear Daughter ...

    Perhaps I should tell you now that you are grown ... my first wife was Deanna Heartfield. We married when she was 6. I was 7. Jackie Garretson, my playmate from across the street performed the ceremony. Several friends and pets were in attendance.
    The marriage lasted only 10 minutes. Deanna had to go home to eat supper.
    We really never had a chance to consummate our nuptials ...

     

Post a Comment

<< Home