Deanaland

Friday, February 16, 2007

Expert Cheese-Opener

I just signed up for the new version of Blogger and went to make a new post and found that TEN comments were awaiting moderation. Some of these were from a year ago. I had no idea. So if you ever commented here and it never showed up, your comment was not offensive. I was just clueless.


Today I took Julia, Jenna and Julia's friend Addie to Barnes & Noble. (Shameless plug: Check out the Silpada Jewelry issue of Empowering Women magazine -- I've got three articles in there. My friend Sarah Paulk has stuff in there, too.) Anyway, an older man came up to me and said, "That younger one of yours sure is a handful." Really? I had no idea. I've been with Jenna for most of her waking moments since August 26, 2004, and it had never occurred to me that she might be a little difficult to manage. Thank you, observant stranger!


We close on our house this Wednesday at 9:30 a.m. and we are so excited we can hardly stand it. Julia wants us to take her out of school for it. Thank you for all the suggestions about the hardwood floors -- the info helps a lot. Here's another question. See those little tiny drawers on either side of the stove in our new kitchen? What am I supposed to put in those things? Here are my ideas so far:



1) toothpicks
2) Slim Jims
3) Pixy Stix



Here's a conversation I had last Wednesday night over dinner (hamburgers) with 5-year-old Kayla from our church.


Kayla: (handing me her slice of cheese) Can you open my cheese?
Deana: Of course I can. I just so happen to be an expert cheese-opener.
Kayla: (eyes very wide and serious) You ARE???


Oh, and don't worry. I had a Boca.

Labels: , , , ,

8 Comments:

  • At Fri Feb 16, 02:35:00 PM, Blogger Karen said…

    Long wooden spoons? Long skewers for shish-kabobs?

     
  • At Fri Feb 16, 09:40:00 PM, Blogger Mary Lou said…

    Well, I'm not an expert cheese opener or anything, but I'd say those little drawers next to your stove would be for utensils. You know, spatulas, meat forks, tongs, ladles...or knives. the long skinny lower cabinet would be for cookie sheets. Well that is if there are no small shelves inside that are in the way. That's my 2 cents worth...for what it's worth.

     
  • At Sat Feb 17, 05:36:00 AM, Blogger HW said…

    I actually had FOUR of those tiny drawers put into our cabinets when we built our house. Mainly because I liked the look of all four in a row. And they are not by the stove. Stove drawers need to be big, huh? I think in my "cabinet book" they are called spice drawers. In our house they are called junk drawers, and contain markers, tape, scissors, spare keys, 3 or 4 crayons...
    In yours you could store tongs (but only if you have a way to keep them pinched closed)or angel hair pasta.

     
  • At Sat Feb 17, 07:35:00 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    The funny thing about Deana being an expert cheese opener is that she can't open a bag of chips without them exploding.

     
  • At Sat Feb 17, 09:25:00 AM, Blogger Sarah P said…

    I have two skinny drawers and I use them for hot pads and oven mitts. Since they are on either side of my oven, it's pretty durn handy. Tin foil and plastic wrap is another idea.
    I also have those annoying little half shelves at the back of my skinny cabinets. But, I was glad to find out that they are surprisingly adjustable. Now my cookie sheets fit! (If yours aren't adjustable, I suggest pulling out the saw...because those things will cause unnecessary temper tantrums...and I'm not referring to Jenna)
    Thanks for the plug! What fun. I didn't realize there was another issue out... Always love a reason to meander through Barnes & Noble.

     
  • At Mon Feb 19, 11:34:00 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    I had drawers like that in one house and they became spice drawers. I wrote the name of the spice on top of the spice lide and then lined them up in the drawer. Made finding spices really easy.
    Also make for good junk drawers.

     
  • At Tue Feb 20, 08:40:00 AM, Blogger Tiffany said…

    I need to echo the suggestion of keeping over mitts in there. Spoon rests and trivets are good to stash away next to the stove, as well. Or a tiny fire extinguisher. And the spice idea is an excellent one!

    Who knew narrow, seemingly useless drawers could be such fun?

     
  • At Tue Feb 20, 02:34:00 PM, Blogger WinSpin said…


    Those little drawers look just the right size to hold your overflow of CD's ...

     

Post a Comment

<< Home