Deanaland

Friday, February 09, 2007

What Wood You Do?

I'm in Stage II of taking back my house. I got a lot done yesterday with the help of Chad, laundry-folder extraordinaire.

We're praying for Julia's friend Addie today, and you can join us if you want to. Addie is eight and has developed some potentially serious health problems and has begun a series of tests this week. We're praying that nothing is seriously wrong and for Addie to get back to the fun of being a kid soon.

On another note, even if you're not an Oprah fan, you might consider tuning in today. The sister-in-law of Mike Cope will be on talking about Touch a Life Ministries, the ministry she and her husband began to get children out of slavery in other countries. This wonderful new Blogger isn't letting me do links, so their website is www.touchalifekids.org. And Mike's blog is www.preachermike.com.

On a completely frivolous note compared to Addie and Touch a Life, I need your help. I'm about to become the owner of hardwood floors and I don't know how to take care of them. After asking around a bit, I've been told:

1) It's so easy,
2) It's unbelievably complicated.

So please tell me, if you have wood floors, how do you take care of them? Here's a pic of the floor in our new house:



Labels: , ,

7 Comments:

  • At Fri Feb 09, 07:47:00 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    Hardwood floors: very easy
    I highly recommend a dust mop (swiffer sweep'n vac is wonderful). I also use a sponge mop and a spray NO WAX hardwood floor cleaner.(Bruce has one and so does Armstrong) Good luck!

    A Friend of a Friend

     
  • At Fri Feb 09, 01:00:00 PM, Blogger WinSpin said…

    A lawnmower with a grass catcher will work ... especially if you're cleaning up after Jenna ...

     
  • At Fri Feb 09, 02:26:00 PM, Blogger Diane said…

    I agree with "a friend of a friend", hardwood floors are very easy to clean.

    We just installed new floors last month & all I use is a swiffer for the dust bunnies & a slightly damp mop for those stickier surprises. No cleaners necessary!

    You will have to swiffer more often than vaccum, but the trade off of having wood floors is worth it!

     
  • At Fri Feb 09, 03:20:00 PM, Blogger "The Activist" said…

    hardwood floors are easy! especially your shiny refinished ones. just make sure to put those padded stickies on the bottom of any of your furniture, so you wont' scratch the floors. and when we moved in we used old towels underneath everything to drag it. i also use murphy's wood floor cleaner when i get a sticky or yucky spot, but swiffers are all i regularly use.

     
  • At Sat Feb 10, 08:27:00 AM, Blogger Kelley said…

    The swiffer vacum is a hardwood floor owner's best friend, unless you forget to charge it.
    Once a week, I damp mop with vinegar water to get up the grime.
    But you really do have to swiffer vacum every day. You'll be amazed at how many dust bunnies were living in your carpet.
    After seeing what sets on a hardwood floor after only a day, it's a miracle that my allergy prone family was able to live in a house with carpet!

     
  • At Sat Feb 10, 10:55:00 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    I clean houses for a living and I would recommend doing as little as you can get by with to your floors. When you damp mop, make sure it is exactly that.....damp! Not wet. The less water your floors see, the better. Enjoy your new house. I enjoy your blog, which I found via Mike Cope's. I am a displaced Arkansas girl....hope you are enjoying my home state!

     
  • At Fri Feb 16, 06:09:00 AM, Blogger Clarissa said…

    Swiffer is great. We have spray cleaner made just for hardwoods, rpobably like what anon. said. Ours came with a special cloth mop head, though, and its own put-it-together-yourself handle, but much sturdier than the swiffer one. Works great when you need to do more than swiffer. And the mop head thing is machine washable.

    I love having wood floors. I hate having spotted carpet that's supposed to be solid!

     

Post a Comment

<< Home