Deanaland

Tuesday, September 05, 2006

Tuesday Gripes

Maybe it's because I didn't get enough sleep last night. I don't know. But I feel compelled to blog about things that bug me.

1) When people pronounce the word "pinch" like "peench."
2) When people use racial slurs in front of my children. (Yes, Mr. Racist Redneck in Target the other day, I was glaring at YOU.)
3) When I'm behind someone in the salad bar line and I'm having to stand there forever because they feel they have to get a little bit of EVERYTHING -- I guess to get their money's worth.
4) When people try talking to me while I'm on the phone.
5) Taco Bell's latest ad campaign in which they are trying to tell America that we need a FOURTH MEAL. Yes, we're the fattest honkin' nation in the world, and we need to add another meal between dinner and breakfast. What about after we all die of clogged arteries, huh? Who's gonna be buying your tacos then, HUH?
6) When white people believe that when they are talking to someone of the African-American race, they must lapse into "ghetto-speak." I honestly can't think of anything more demeaning. Next time you see this happening, watch the face of the African-American carefully. You will see an expression that clearly says, "Someone get this white idiot away from me."

There. I'm done for now. Coming soon -- a happier Deana!

10 Comments:

  • At Wed Sep 06, 09:27:00 PM, Blogger HW said…

    My aunt pronounces "fish" like "feesh." It used to crack me up at McDonald's to hear her order a "filet-o-feesh please." Still does.

     
  • At Thu Sep 07, 08:56:00 AM, Blogger janjanmom said…

    I have one, when someone white is talking to someone else white and just asumes they use racial slurs too, using them flowingly through the conversation. I usually make a comment that lets them know I don't appreciate it-but sometimes it's an elderly person in my family or church at which time I rapidly change the subject and pray they "get it" some day.

     
  • At Thu Sep 07, 12:55:00 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    Yo, What up dawg?.

     
  • At Thu Sep 07, 01:28:00 PM, Blogger courtney said…

    I TOTALLY agree on the "peench". That bugged me even as a little girl. You don't say "eench" (inch), you shouldn't say "peench".

     
  • At Thu Sep 07, 05:23:00 PM, Blogger Kelly said…

    I'm in complete agreement on the racial slurs. Some days I think we've made a lot of progress, and then I meet someone who says something totally ignorant.

    It drives me crazy when people confuse or misuse catchy phrases. I knew someone who always said a tough situation was a "catch 20/20."

     
  • At Thu Sep 07, 08:49:00 PM, Blogger Mary Lou said…

    Well, the only gripe I have is people that call me on my accidental mistakes. Yeah, I know when I screw up. I've been at it a long time. ... Okay, I have another one...when someone feels it is their duty to make me feel like I'm an idiot. Just sharing.

     
  • At Thu Sep 07, 09:23:00 PM, Blogger Deana Nall said…

    Kelly -- I know more than one person who says they are "flustrated." I guess that's a cross between flustered and frustrated. And I once heard a teacher talking about how Lincoln was a "ferocious" reader instead of "voracious." She had been teaching for years. Yikes.

     
  • At Thu Sep 07, 09:48:00 PM, Blogger LOSTANDFOUND said…

    Changing people's ways and habits is almost impossible these days. Everyone is so independent. I'm over the frustration for the most part and overlook these mannerisms. I used to confront people all the time but now I've just started praying for people more and saying less. What's satisfying is noticing the frequency of positive change--it's up. I guess He gets the glory now....

     
  • At Fri Sep 08, 09:46:00 AM, Blogger Susan - said…

    I'm glad to know someone else is bugged by the "Fourth Meal" thing. That is perfectly ridiculous.

    Thakns for the heads-up about Whippersnappers. We are going to have to check that out.

     
  • At Tue Sep 12, 12:28:00 PM, Blogger Jana said…

    Oh man...that comment about "catch 20/20"...boy howdy that made me LAUGH! Thank you Kelly!!!

     

Post a Comment

<< Home