Deanaland

Tuesday, August 22, 2006

No more Mrs. Nice Guy

I caved.

I gave in to the skinny jean trend. These black denims (Mossimo Premium Denim from you-know-where) are now mine.


I figure the next time skinny jeans are in, I'll be in my fifties and the people on "What Not to Wear" will be saying "Skinny jeans are SO not for grandmas." So I knew I better do it now, while I'm still young-ish.

From the "We Just Moved" dept., Julia is liking her new school. She says she has made friends -- she just doesn't know their names yet. And Jenna has been passing her time by: 1) Throwing her toothbrush in the toilet (yesterday) and 2) opening the dishwasher full of dirty dishes and drinking what was left in all of the cups she could reach (also yesterday). I love this child to pieces. But she's on the waiting list of several MDO's, and I need her to get into one SOON.

In other news, I realize I haven't said much about our new church. We've been there for two Sundays and, as much as we miss Missouri St. in Baytown, we really feel like we are home. We're getting to know the kids and the parents and everyone has made us feel so welcome. Our first Sunday, they laid hands on us and prayed over us. I was so moved by it that I teared up, but since I was holding hands with people, I couldn't wipe the tears away. So after the prayer I looked something like this:



Hope I didn't scare anyone.

8 Comments:

  • At Tue Aug 22, 08:31:00 PM, Blogger Nellie said…

    Girl, wear those skinny jeans NOW! They look fine on people with lithe, trim bodies like yours. I would predict that you could still wear them when you are a grandma, but you never know, so go for it!

    So glad to hear that LRC is feeling like home. That's such a comfort. Isn't it incredible to have people lay hands on you in prayer? I experienced that while I was in Nashville a few weeks ago. It was quite moving.

    I'll miss your column tomorrow!!
    :(

     
  • At Wed Aug 23, 06:05:00 AM, Blogger Tiffany said…

    The problem I face with skinny jeans is how much they show off my freakishly large feet. With wider legged pants, the fabric falls over the shoe and creates the optical illusion that my feet are only half the size of a small European village. With skinny jeans, the whole enourmous shoe is just sticking out there with no cover, no disguise, and no way to make me look like a normal person.

    Anyone else deal with this?

     
  • At Wed Aug 23, 06:15:00 AM, Blogger Deana Nall said…

    Tiffany -- I always wear heels to remedy that problem. Maybe it's just me, but I feel like my feet look smaller if they're not flat on the floor.

    American German -- I don't have big hair now but my hair and I have been waiting for big hair to make a comeback.

    Nell -- It was so weird this past Monday night, not having to stay up to write a column! Wanda Orton is taking my spot until they can find someone else. I'll miss writing it, but it's also nice to have a break after 3.5 years.

     
  • At Wed Aug 23, 07:43:00 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    The weird thing is- Alice Cooper is a Christian and somewhat open about it. I wonder if he looks that way because people prayed over him?

     
  • At Thu Aug 24, 08:12:00 AM, Blogger Little Light said…

    Good for you wearing the skinny jeans - if you can, why not and that includes grandmas.

     
  • At Thu Aug 24, 08:40:00 AM, Blogger Shanta said…

    Deana- you are hilarious. Although my large rear end will never agree with the skinny jean and its progeny, I can appreciate your willingness to be trendy.

     
  • At Thu Aug 24, 12:36:00 PM, Blogger David Michael said…

    Does that resemble your driver's license picture?

     
  • At Thu Aug 24, 01:31:00 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    I am 51, will be a grandmother sometime in 2007, run five miles at least three times a week and teach aerobics classes four days a week. I will more than likely be buying myself a pair of skinny jeans in the near future. I remember when I was in my twenties and I told a friend that I hoped I would dress my age when I got older. I gave up on that a long time ago!

    By the way.....I hope you love Arkansas....state of my birth!

     

Post a Comment

<< Home