Deanaland

Friday, August 04, 2006

Leaving

Between closing on our house, packing up everything we own and getting ready to leave, things around here have been nuts. At one point yesterday, I was on the phone with our neighbor, trying to put batteries in Baby Bop while Jenna wailed, and trying to tell a couple of guys at the door (whose English wasn't great) that no, we don't need our yard mowed because it's technically not our house anymore. All at the same time. It kind of reminded me of that scene in the first "Freaky Friday" (the Jodie Foster one) where she's in her mother's body and finding out that things at home during the day are not always so quiet and peaceful.

Yesterday Julia and I went to her school to take pictures of everyone for the Baytown scrapbook we are working on. She got to see her teacher from kindergarten, who she still adores, so that was exciting. We are going back today to catch her first-grade teacher and a few others who definitely need to be in the book. Chad and I also went out for a late birthday lunch for me, then we left the girls with our good friends Ike and Brenda while our other good friends Bill and Margaret (the people whose house we wrapped a year or so ago) took us to Kemah for steaks and Marble Slab. Bill and Margaret are the kind of people that we instantly connected with when we moved here so it was such a blessing to get to hang out with them. We ate at Saltgrass at a table overlooking Galveston Bay, which was nice because one of the things I'm really going to miss is being near water. One thing I've never taken for granted here is the fact that early in the mornings, Chad and I can hear ships blowing their horns in the Ship Channel. After living in West Texas for so long, being able to hear a ship without even getting out of bed has always been pretty cool to me. I'll miss that, too.

Today Julia and I are going to say bye to more people (and take their pictures for the scrapbook), go to lunch with my friend Lois, and going to the doctor for Julia's check-up. Then we're going swimming tonight with a few of Julia's friends from school. Oh, and I promised to make cupcakes for that. And we're making sure everything is ready for us to leave out of here either Monday evening or early Tuesday.

I'll end with this quote:

"BYE-BYE! I LOVE YOU!" -- Jenna to the check-out guy at Target yesterday.

5 Comments:

  • At Fri Aug 04, 06:16:00 AM, Blogger Mary Lou said…

    We really hate to see you and your family go. You'll be missed by so many. It was just bad timing that you are leaving at the same time Jason, Kari and our grandkids are moving here. I think you all would have liked each other's company. I know you have a lot to do to get ready to leave. I pray all will go well for your move and that you all and Little Rock will have a great life. I hope they know what jewels they are getting in Chad and Deana, Julia and Jenna. You are special people.
    "Bye-bye! I love you!"

     
  • At Fri Aug 04, 07:53:00 AM, Blogger Jacinda said…

    I can't wait to hear about your Arkansas adventures!

     
  • At Fri Aug 04, 08:49:00 AM, Blogger Diane said…

    I will pray for you and your family while you are in transition...moving can be stressful, but lots of funny things can happen along the way - can't wait to hear about them!

    I wonder if the "new" Target knows you're coming?

     
  • At Fri Aug 04, 09:38:00 AM, Blogger Kelley said…

    Yeah, have you alerted the new target you are arriving!

     
  • At Sat Aug 05, 08:50:00 AM, Blogger Susan - said…

    I for one am glad you are moving to Arkansas. I live in Conway, about 30-45 minutes north of LR. We may never meet (but then again, who knows), but I feel as if I know you and your sweet girls.

    Moving is hard, but I think you will grow to love Arkansas. It is a beautiful place.

    Good luck. Can't wait to read your moving in story.

     

Post a Comment

<< Home