Deanaland

Thursday, August 17, 2006

Bop, bop, bop! Bop to the Top!*

Because we live about a year behind the rest of the world as far as entertainment goes, we have just recently gotten into "High School Musical." Of course when we got the DVD, Julia mysteriously already knew all the words to the songs. Turns out she had seen bits and pieces at other people's houses, which kids are forced to do when their cheap parents won't get cable. (Our previous refusal to get cable is WHY we are about a year behind everyone else when it comes to cool TV shows, movies, etc. What a vicious, vicious cycle.)

Anyway, we watch this movie all the dang time now, and we make sure we watch the sing-along version so we can all join in (yes, Chad included) when the songs come on. It's really clean and cute and has a good message about just being yourself in high school (which no one EVER does, but still.)

(*This song also includes the line "Zip, Zap, Zop.")

The good news is we have cable now. The two most memorable things I have seen so far are "The Last Days of Elvis" on E! (during which it took them a solid hour to say, "He ate a lot. He slept a lot. He took drugs a lot. Then he died." Pretty depressing) and ABBA in Concert. It was two guys and two girls running around on stage singing cheesy songs with a bad light show. To me, it looked just like Song Song in spandex.

From the "We Just Moved" department, I better have some HOT LEGS by the time we move out of this place because I am running up the stairs about 50 times a day and I'm really starting to feel the burn. When I carry Jenna up, I sometimes have to stop and rest halfway. But I really am in good shape... REALLY.

We went to McAlister's Deli and Target in Little Rock AGAIN today. I'm sure there are other things to do in this town, but if Little Rock only had those two places, we'd be pretty happy. We did go downtown to Sonny Williams Steak Room the other night for our anniversary. The food was great. I bet Clinton used to stuff his face there on a regular basis.

We visited Julia's school tonight for Open House. She seemed most excited about the new playground. That's our little scholar!

6 Comments:

  • At Fri Aug 18, 07:18:00 AM, Blogger Jenni at talking hairdryer said…

    My kids love "High School Musical",too. We are too cheap for cable, so they were introduced to it at the grandparents house. (About a year ago my 6 yr old son went through this thing where every Friday night he wanted to go see them! Turns out Disney aired it EVERY Friday for months!)

    My favorite thing to do is torture the high school boys with the movie by playing it over and over for my kids while on long road trips! It's the best way I know to keep that "high school boy stink" out of our van!

     
  • At Fri Aug 18, 08:36:00 AM, Blogger Kelley said…

    Stairs....
    I have two sets of stairs at my house and no matter where I am, the thing I need is on the "other" floor. ALWAYS.
    So far my behind isn't any smaller, but I have some killer calf muscles!

    I gotta see this musical!

     
  • At Fri Aug 18, 06:36:00 PM, Blogger elizabeth said…

    Matthew loves HSM as well! He does hand motions to, "We're all in this together....!"

    I was watching cable the other day and saw Duran Duran in concert. I had a poster of John Taylor in my room as a kid. What a cutie!

     
  • At Sat Aug 19, 10:36:00 AM, Blogger Heather said…

    ROFL . . .I have the music on my iPod! We have had dish for about 4 years now, and I still didn't know about this movie, as we don't think about Disney having movies to cable only. But, I have a group of online friends that keep me updated!

    Our school has a celebration every Friday in which each class has their turn to entertain the school. This Friday, Ian's class is singing "We're All in this Together"

    Hoping Julia's new school/school year go well.

     
  • At Sat Aug 19, 07:59:00 PM, Blogger Lara said…

    Okay, I live in Searcy and even I can help you find some more culinary delights than even McCallisters can offer.

    Brave New Restaurant (no kids- bring extra money)
    Shakey's by McCallister's in WLR (yum custard ice cream stuff)
    Cynthia East (for fabulous fabrics)
    Kroger in the Heights (the Rum Ba-Bas from the bakery makes ya feel all warm and tingly)
    RAVE movie theater
    Canon Grill
    Scallions

    You'll need a way to add pounds since you'll waste away climbing those stairs!!

    Lara

     
  • At Wed Aug 23, 04:09:00 PM, Blogger Kyle said…

    I've seen this HSM and I can only attribute it's success to the same thing that made Saved By the Bell popular. Tweens who have nothing better to watch afterschool/on Saturday mornings or whenever it comes on. Personally, I take great offense to it. The theatre teacher is a dufus.

     

Post a Comment

<< Home