Deanaland

Monday, September 24, 2007

Words

Goal for today: to get 1,500 words into the computer so I won't have to stay up half the night to make this deadline, like I had to stay up half of last night to make another deadline. After tonight, I have a break until another assignment shows up in my inbox.

I'm working on a story about El Paso, and I just saw that the city's slogan is "El Paso: You Have No Idea." Is that weird to anyone else?

I know I keep blogging about Jenna, but she's really on a roll lately. Yesterday in church, I had given her some change to put in the collection plate. When the plate went by, she put the money in but then decided she wanted it back as the plate was passed away from her. I said, "No, we're giving it to God."

She perked up.

"God's coming here? To Bible kwass?" (That's what she calls church.)

I said, "God's always here. He's with us all the time."

She sat up and started looking frantically around the room. I know she was looking for an actual physical person, so I tapped her chest and said, "God lives in your heart."

Her eyes got big and she grabbed the bottom of her dress and yanked it up, exposing her pull-up, tummy and chest for the church to see. After looking down at her tummy for a second, she looked up at me and smiled a smile that said, "I have no idea what you're talking about, but what the heck -- I'll go along with it."

So I've probably confused her forever about God. But in a cute way.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Here's a great article from Newsweek about an agnostic who decided to spend a year following every single law in the Bible. He even got to stone an adulterer!

Labels: , ,

10 Comments:

  • At Mon Sep 24, 08:17:00 AM, Blogger HW said…

    When my son was about Jenna's age, he held is change up above his head when the collection plate came to us and said very clearly "If I give my money to God, I won't have enough to buy lunch...."
    I can't help it...I stil absolutely love 3-year-olds.
    Glad to know Jenna came down from the garage door unscathed.

     
  • At Mon Sep 24, 11:54:00 AM, Blogger Chris said…

    being from El Paso having that be the slogan is definitely weird...there has been a lot of letters about it in the paper too

     
  • At Mon Sep 24, 02:34:00 PM, Blogger Wade said…

    I have to admit that my faith is sometimes the same as Jenna's. There are some passages and theological concepts that make me think, "I have no idea what that is supposed to mean, but what the heck, I'll go with it!"

    Glad to know I'm not the only one who thinks that way!

     
  • At Mon Sep 24, 06:00:00 PM, Blogger Kelly said…

    Very interesting article. My favorite line was "I'm not Gandhi or Angelina Jolie." I think that's the first time I've seen those two mentioned in the same sentence. :)

    Cute Jenna story.

     
  • At Tue Sep 25, 09:43:00 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    I know an adulterer I'd like to stone!

     
  • At Tue Sep 25, 05:56:00 PM, Blogger Sarah P said…

    Your huge article about McNeil in ACU Today turned out great. I can see why Ron wanted to extend your article. Those definitely were some great shots.

     
  • At Tue Sep 25, 07:49:00 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    As a freelancer with young children, I too stayed up most of the night writing articles and then being a mommy the next day. As hard I tried, I could not write until the deadline was looming...I am still that way today...I called each article my baby because it felt like giving birth...

    I know you must read Anne Lamott...she has such a great sense of humor although she is much more irreverent...anyway you are a much better writer than I AND I've said it before ( and I'll say it again)...I love reading your blog!

     
  • At Wed Sep 26, 02:55:00 PM, Blogger Keith Brenton said…

    I'll take Jenna's theology any day.

     
  • At Thu Sep 27, 07:27:00 AM, Blogger Nellie said…

    Just wanted to let you know your name was mentioned in our Wed. night ladies class last night. It was definitely an honorable mention!

    Love the Jenna stories. We miss all of you!

     
  • At Fri Sep 28, 08:24:00 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    okay...I officially reset my blogger password, so it is up and running AGAIN! lol I know you miss reading my poorly written blogs with horrible grammar and punctuation. Haha, love ya dearly!

     

Post a Comment

<< Home