Deanaland

Thursday, September 06, 2007

How to say my name

Yesterday I walked in late to the first day of my Bible study (because of the torrential rain God bestowed upon Central Arkansas that day) and a very friendly woman said, "This is Dee Anna Nail, everyone!" To which everyone replied "Hi, Dee Anna!"

The problem is that my name is not Dee Anna Nail. It's pronounced "Deena Nahl." (Think "Dean" and an "uh" and "mall" with an "n.") In that weird moment in which a roomful of people were greeting me by a name that is not mine, I froze. I know now that I should have cleared it up right then, but instead I just said "hi" and sat down. Now I don't know how to let this group of people -- who I'll be seeing every Wednesday for the next eight months -- know what my real name is.

Then today. I'm sitting in the waiting room for my yearly grope session...I mean check-up... when a nurse walks into the waiting room and calls "Dee Anna Hall?"

I sat for a second, looking around to see if an actual Dee Anna Hall was going to stand up. She didn't, and the nurse called the name again. I cleared my throat and said, "If you mean Deana Nall, that's me." She looked very confused and went over to the receptionist desk where she found that my name had been entered into the system wrong. We got it all cleared up and then walked to an exam room where the same nurse said, "I'll be right back, Dee Ann."

I give up, people. Just call me whatever you want.

To add to the fun, the doctor was going over all the paperwork I had filled out and said, "Ummm... you believe you are severely depressed?" I said, "No -- did I put that?" He showed me where I had circled "yes." I had actually been trying to circle "yes" to the question directly above it, which was "Are you generally happy with your life?" I kept saying, "No, really, I'm fine." He was smiling and nodding with a look in his eye that told me he was thinking "Yeah, right."

One more thought. Have any of you ever seen a women's clinic NOT decorated with hideous, jumbo-print floral wallpaper? Just wondering.

Labels: ,

15 Comments:

  • At Thu Sep 06, 12:22:00 PM, Blogger Susan - said…

    A neighbor/friend of mine is also Deana (dee-nuh). My husband knows how to pronounce her name, but still gets it wrong sometimes. Another friend is Audrea (ahh-dree-uh), but people insist on calling her Andrea.
    My maiden name was Holyfield. Seems simple enough to me, but no! It got to the point that I would answer to Susan H-anythignthatremotelysoundslike-holyfield.

     
  • At Thu Sep 06, 12:42:00 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    I'm gonna call you JENNY!!!!

    So, Jenny, I was groped today too! Happy Birthday to ME! My ob/gyn doesn't have big flower wallpaper, but my dentist does.

    I remember the moment our freshman yr. when you explained to me, "My name is Deennaaa, Dean after my dad and uuuuuu at the end." Never had a problem with your name since, Jenny!

    FOTC forever!
    CP

     
  • At Thu Sep 06, 01:35:00 PM, Blogger Peggy N Texas said…

    My husband has a similar problem. His name is Tollie Corder. Try saying that over the phone and you get all kinds of weird interpretations.

    I always spell my name for them, and give them an example, "it is like recorder, only corder." That helps, but there is not much you can do with Tollie. By the way, we think it is short for Tolivar, although he was named after his grandfather Tollie.

    What parents do to their children when they name them! I think it is a way of parents revenge on what their child might do in the future!

    And no, my gyno doesn't have any wall paper in his office. He does have rocking chairs in the waiting room, though. Very homey place. Good thing since you have to wait so long.

    Hope you had a good visit!

     
  • At Thu Sep 06, 01:43:00 PM, Blogger HW said…

    People should pronounce your name correctly if they're going to get so...um...intimate with you.

    Our last name throws people every time. Even when we spell it for people, we watch them write it down incorrectly.

     
  • At Thu Sep 06, 02:32:00 PM, Blogger Unknown said…

    I feel your pain. I can't even count the number of times I've been called Lie-Ann. Does that even make sense people?! Grrr....
    As for the gyn, the walls are painted. I'm more worried about the equipment.

     
  • At Thu Sep 06, 05:21:00 PM, Blogger KentF said…

    I admit it - I said Dee-anna for months reading your blog before you set me straight. But, I do feel it - I've been called Ken, Kenneth, and, well, Ken. The hard thing is you have to really listen to see if they put the "t" on the end -but I stopped listening 14 years ago. My wife listens for me, and often corrects people - to which I respond "umpff" or something else important.

     
  • At Thu Sep 06, 10:51:00 PM, Blogger Kristi said…

    "...like tuh-mater, but without the 'tuh'".

     
  • At Fri Sep 07, 03:54:00 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    My last name before I got married was Sergent. Pronounced Sar-gent.

    Now I'm Seward. Pronouced See-ward, as opposed to Soo-ward.

    My sister has married two men whose names are difficult to pronounce.

    And the kicker: my father--last name Sergent--was discharged from the military with the rank of . . . Sergeant.

     
  • At Sat Sep 08, 08:26:00 AM, Blogger sarahdawn said…

    My name is hard to mess up now, but before I was married my last name was butchered constantly. It was Hartleib - my favorite renditions were Hartlebee and Hatfeild. Seriously, Hatfield?

    On another note - I had my grope session this week as well and was pleased to see the offices had been redone in a lovely sage green and creams motif and the furniture had even been replaced with "real" stuff like you would have in your home. Of course, the stirup (sp?) table were still present - and no, I would not have those in my home.

     
  • At Sat Sep 08, 10:12:00 AM, Blogger AbbieCRAZY said…

    The worst gyno I ever saw had butterflies on the ceiling! It made me think of the picture of Jesus, in the church nursery, that the babies had to stare at while they had a diaper change.

    It was in Little Rock. I found a new one.

     
  • At Sat Sep 08, 01:28:00 PM, Blogger Jacinda said…

    Hey, I don't want to hear it-my name is Jacinda, remember?!!?

    I was at the doctor the other day and the nurse questioned me as to whether or not she had pronounced my name correctly. I told her that she had and she mentioned how sometimes the "J" is said with an "H" sound. I agreed with her that yes, sometimes it is but by looking at me did she really think that was how you would pronounce my name?!?

    I had my grope session this week too!

     
  • At Sat Sep 08, 06:42:00 PM, Blogger Keith Brenton said…

    I usually stay out of women's clinics ... unless I happen to make a wrong turn at my kids' pediatrician.

     
  • At Sun Sep 09, 08:56:00 PM, Blogger Jacinda said…

    I have a question I think you may can answer. Could you email me at chrisjacinda@bellsouth.net so I can have your email address? thanks!

     
  • At Sun Sep 09, 10:26:00 PM, Blogger Brian said…

    I'm in again, I now have my own internet access, and now I'll be blogging regularly again.

     
  • At Thu Sep 20, 08:52:00 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    SAme name, same problem.
    Deana Fulenwider Herd

     

Post a Comment

<< Home