Deanaland

Monday, August 13, 2007

Keep your pants on

I asked Julia to bring the mail in today so she hands it to me and says, "Hey, it's Zac Efron!" Zac is the star of High School Musical 2, which makes its debut this weekend on Disney. So he is on the minds and hearts of every girl Julia's age and several years younger and older.

Back to the mail. It's the latest issue of "Rolling Stone" magazine with Zac on the cover.

Was I impressed by this? No, Zac, as a matter of fact, I wasn't. My 8-year-old is watching you. Keep your clothes on.

The only reason we're getting Rolling Stone is because Chad inadvertently signed up for a subscription online while trying to sign up for something else. (That's really true -- Chad couldn't care less about what's going on in the world of rock 'n' roll.) I used to be a big fan of the magazine. In 9th grade, I rebelled against the pop music of the mid-'80s, sold my soul to rock 'n' roll and bought every issue of Rolling Stone that year. The writing has always been exceptional. One article I read that year about John Phillips' (The Mamas and the Papas) drug addiction convinced me to never, ever do drugs, and I still never have.

Twenty-plus years later, we've got children in the house. So, sorry, Rolling Stone, you're outta here.

Labels: ,

3 Comments:

  • At Tue Aug 14, 07:14:00 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    The sad thing is, they market these 20-somethings as highschoolers to tweens -- it's no wonder our kids have a culture-wide identity crisis! And the actors must be getting bored playing squeaky-clean bubblegum roles. Let's see some KIDS on the screen, playing kids, looking like real kids, zits and all, and leave the ingenue and hero roles to the young adults.

     
  • At Mon Aug 20, 10:03:00 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    We have a recording of it on our DVR thanks to my 12 yr. old. Guess I get the privilege of watching it in the next few days!

     
  • At Tue Aug 28, 04:14:00 PM, Blogger LB said…

    If you ever figure out how to get rid of The Rolling Stone, please let me know. Somehow, we are accidentally receiving it too. Everyone in my house refuses to read it. My 17 y/o opened it wants, saw a foul word and no one has opened it since...

     

Post a Comment

<< Home