Deanaland

Thursday, August 09, 2007

Under a spell

I know I gripe about this stuff a lot, but I just have to wonder once again why so many people out there don't know the basics of the English language.

Julia and I are going to enter some things in the Saline County Fair and I was reading through the rules and regulations book. The typos are so thick I can barely get through it. I know, I know, rural Arkansas and all that. But STILL. Do they really have a "scrape booking" competition? Can I really enter "crapes" in the fruit competition? Are they really going to be judged by "Master Gardner's?" And can I please, please enter the "beauty pagent?"

If anyone should know "herd" is not spelled "heard," it should be the Saline County Fair Association of Benton, Arkansas. I'm assuming a spelling bee will not be part of the festivities. Maybe it should.

Anyway, my brownies are going to win.

Labels: , ,

6 Comments:

  • At Thu Aug 09, 11:21:00 AM, Blogger Kelly said…

    Don't ever stop complaining about that. We need more people like you out there! :) That's at least what I tell myself, because it drives me just as crazy.

    Newsweek had a great column awhile ago about the disappearance of the comma. I loved it!

     
  • At Thu Aug 09, 02:49:00 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    MMMMMM Deanas' brownys' sound yummie.

    CP

     
  • At Thu Aug 09, 04:15:00 PM, Blogger HW said…

    Years ago, as we drove to and from college we would pass a "Furnature" store. It put me in a bad mood for 20 miles every time.
    Our local paper is always full of spelling and grammatical errors. Our son delivered for them for a few months. When the publisher called (again) to complain that he put the rubber bands on too tightly - on the paper delivered to his home - I was tempted to call him every morning to report the errors I'd found that day in his paper. But it would have been very time consuming for me.
    Instead, we quit the route and cancelled our subscription.

     
  • At Thu Aug 09, 08:07:00 PM, Blogger Jacinda said…

    These things drive me crazy too!

    Sunday, one of our elders was speaking-complete with a power point presentation. The title on one of his slides was about "loosing" something.

    Yes, that's how it was spelled. Not "losing" but "loosing." This man travels to Europe twice a month on business in a VERY well paying job and he can't spell "losing"?!?!? Drove me crazy!!!!

     
  • At Thu Aug 09, 08:23:00 PM, Blogger janjanmom said…

    I hate it too!!!

    The worst thing I have ever heard came from one of my teacher friends. She said that kids didn't need to learn to spell, because computers have spell-check!!

    AAAAAAGGGGHHHHH!

     
  • At Sun Aug 12, 07:43:00 PM, Blogger Wade said…

    I never really paid much attention to my spelling until Kelly once told me how she thought bad spellers were a turn-off.

    Since we were still in the "trying to impress each other" phase of dating I suddenly started reciting the "i before e, except after c" rule over and over!

    Now I can spell and I have a hot wife!

    W

     

Post a Comment

<< Home