Deanaland

Thursday, August 16, 2007

RIP, WWN


I consider myself a mainstream journalist who embraces journalistic ethics. Having said that, I'm kinda sad about the demise of the Weekly World News.

How many mundane grocery-shopping trips have been brightened in the checkout by headlines such as "ALIENS ATE MY LAUNDRY" and "SADDAM HUSSEIN AND BIGFOOT HAVE LOVECHILD"? This is the same publication that found hell under a mountain in Russia, as well as a time-warped baby floating around in the Atlantic in a Titanic life preserver. The Weekly World News was also "the paper" upon which Mike Myers' mother relied for her only source of information in "So I Married an Axe Murderer."

The Weekly World News was either journalism at its worst, or cultural satire at its best.

Rest in peace, Bat Boy. We hardly knew you.

Labels: ,

3 Comments:

  • At Fri Aug 17, 10:54:00 AM, Blogger Stephanie said…

    Hysterical. Being a former journalist myself, it always gave me that "checkout giggle".

    You posted on my blog (Who? Me?) yesterday, so 1) thanks for visiting 2) sorry that you visited on a "rant" day 3) Not married to minister, work WITH them (Mike Darling being one . . . I feel like maybe there's a connection somehow, which is how I came to read your blog in first place.)

    Love your blog, read it often. Have a great weekend!

     
  • At Fri Aug 17, 07:53:00 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    Charlie! Bring me the paper!

    I love how Mike Myers incorporated that in to that movie.

     
  • At Sat Aug 18, 05:15:00 PM, Blogger Aggiema (Michelle) said…

    Please get rid of that picture, it is scaring me!

     

Post a Comment

<< Home