Deanaland

Friday, September 21, 2007

Adventures with Jenna

Lately, Jenna and I have been going outside about noon, spreading out a blanket in the front yard and looking at clouds and jet vapor trails. She loves this and has been asking to do it every day. While we were outside today, she put her arm around me and said, "Mommy, we are best friends."

That was the calm part of the day, which was about to come to a sudden end. After the cloud-watching, we were getting ready to leave to take lunch to Julia. I opened the door leading out to the garage and pushed the button to raise the garage door. Then I thought I hadn't locked the front door, so I went back to check while Jenna ran out into the garage. On my way back to the garage after checking the front door, I heard Jenna scream her "I'm truly, legitimately in trouble" scream. I ran to the garage and found Jenna hanging by her hands from the bottom of the garage door, which, by this time, was all the way to the top of the garage. I had visions of her letting go and falling to the concrete floor, so I ran at her yelling, "Don't let go! Don't let go!" Thankfully she didn't, and I got her down and checked to make sure her hands and fingers were OK. She was very shaken up (me, too) and after she calmed down a bit we had a talk about how we should never, ever touch the garage door while it is moving. She said, still crying, "OK! OK!"

Then I recounted the story to Julia and her friends at lunch and of course, they thought it was the funniest thing they had ever heard -- especially when Jenna kept saying, "I went up, up, up!"

I don't think it's funny yet. But I probably will someday.

Labels: , ,

6 Comments:

  • At Fri Sep 21, 04:20:00 PM, Blogger Winston said…

    Wish you had a picture of that ... next time tell her to hang on while you go look for the camera ...

     
  • At Fri Sep 21, 08:03:00 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    I LOVE your blog! I have said it before and I'll say it again!
    Terry from Texas and you don't know me.

     
  • At Sat Sep 22, 06:47:00 AM, Blogger Jacinda said…

    Oh wow. I have an image in my head of that. Poor things!

     
  • At Sat Sep 22, 10:15:00 AM, Blogger cryssi said…

    I love your blog! I can imagine that as my two year old would do the same thing. It will be hilarious later although now it is still kind of scary.

    Crystal

     
  • At Sat Sep 22, 10:24:00 AM, Blogger mom23 said…

    Oh Lord! I am about to get lecture my girls on the garage door - never thought about that! But first adding how grateful I am she (and you!) are OK!

     
  • At Wed Sep 26, 08:18:00 AM, Blogger Mary Lou said…

    Oh, I know you were worried, but I have to admit, I laughed at the image in my head of Jenna hanging onto the garage door. Reminds me of the time Kyle was about 12 feet off the ground on a ski lift when he realized he had not gotten off..so he jumped! He was 8 or 9 years old and very proud of himself. I didn't think that was funny either.

     

Post a Comment

<< Home