Deanaland

Sunday, September 30, 2007

Best Friends

We just got back from this year's Best Friends Retreat at Camp Tahkodah. I drove up with Julia and Jenna on Saturday and didn't get to participate in much of the retreat activities, but it seemed to go really well. The guest speaker was our friend Tquan, and it was great to see him again.

Speaking of best friends, we have lost Jenna's. "Bunny" has been a member of our family almost as long as Jenna has. He was a gift to her from her Great-Aunt Wanda and her Great-Mamaw a few months after her birth. Jenna hasn't slept a night without Bunny since she was about nine months old. That's Bunny resting on Jenna's chest in this picture from about six months ago:



This morning at camp, Chad had packed our stuff up and Jenna had apparently removed Bunny from her backpack because I remember Julia saying that Bunny was sitting on a chair in the next room, which is the camp infirmary. That was the very last time I thought of Bunny until we were on our way home. I called Chad, who was in Searcy by this time in another vehicle. He drove back to camp and Bunny was nowhere to be found. Once we got home, I called three other adults who had been staying and/or working near the infirmary, but none of them had seen Bunny. Chad finally made it to our church and didn't find Bunny in any of the stuff other church members had brought back from camp. I couldn't reach anyone who works at the camp so I left a message.

Through a little internet research, I learned that Bunny probably came from JC Penney. The two I called here don't carry them anymore, but I did find another Bunny on Ebay.If the other Penney's in Little Rock and the camp staff don't turn anything up, we may be sneaking the Ebay bunny into our home and passing him off as the old one.

When Jenna asked for Bunny tonight, we told her he was going to stay at camp for a few more days and that she could go pick another animal from her room to sleep with tonight. She smiled and said,"OK!" and ran to her room and picked out a pink bear. Then Chad put her to bed while Julia and I prayed for God to please, please, please bring Bunny back to us. I realize Jenna is taking this better than I am. But I guess that since he had become special to her, he had become special to me, too.

Labels: , , ,

7 Comments:

  • At Mon Oct 01, 04:50:00 AM, Blogger Alissa said…

    We have a best friend here too. Alora, my middle child has "Mrs. Lamb" (Not sure where her husband is?) It has been around since before my first was born, since I bought this little lamb beanie baby when we were expecting Aidan. Aidan didn't care for it, but somehow she has become Alora fave. If we lost her, I am sure I would have to pay big bucks, and spend several hours trying to get the replacement to look as flilthy as the true Mrs. Lamb. I hope you find Bunny
    (I know that we have left Mrs. Lamb one place and another and we always say she is having a lamb party while we are gone--she better clean up after herself-- or that she wanted to spend a few more nights with the grandparents.) Here's hoping she just took a trip to the lost and found or rode home with someone else. Good luck.

     
  • At Mon Oct 01, 01:59:00 PM, Blogger Unknown said…

    I still have my baby bear, Patsy. She will be 44 in December just like me. I don't sleep with her anymore, but she is near nonetheless. Some things you just can't live without. Good Luck!
    Liane

     
  • At Mon Oct 01, 07:45:00 PM, Blogger Lauren said…

    Tquan was one of the youth ministers at my church in Houston when I was in high school! I didn't realized he was in a band now...how awesome. He was always such a great song leader...we had some fun times!

    Hope you find Bunny! I don't know what I'd do if we lost my son's Bear or Lion.

     
  • At Tue Oct 02, 07:41:00 AM, Blogger KentF said…

    Deana - let me see if I get this straight... You moved your family to Arkansas because you grew tired of hearing the churchy version of a song written by Nicole Richie's dad?
    ;-)

     
  • At Tue Oct 02, 08:07:00 AM, Blogger Deana Nall said…

    Kent -- You got it!

    (Bewildered readers: Kent's comment is in reference to a discussion going on over at Mike Cope's blog.)

     
  • At Tue Oct 02, 10:36:00 AM, Blogger Olivia said…

    You have no idea how much your comment meant to me. Thank you for your heart and you willingness to stand up with me in the sadness that sometimes gets pushed aside. Blessings to you and your family today.

     
  • At Wed Oct 03, 05:42:00 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    I read those comments at Mike Cope's blog and know what you mean. :-)

    Matthew has a "Bunny" also, but it is definitely not Jenna's
    "bunny".

    About two weeks ago, he suddenly started putting his Bunny and another teddy bear of his into OUR room, tucked into bed.

    He said, "Mommy loves Bear, Daddy loves Bunny, Matthew loves Baby Bear (another stuffed animal.)"

    I guess that's one for each of us.

     

Post a Comment

<< Home