Deanaland

Monday, April 09, 2007

The Sneeze Drawer

Yesterday morning, when we were trying to get ready for church and I was not in the mood for this kind of thing, Jenna opened the refrigerator, then opened the little drawer where we keep cheese and lunchmeat and stuff... and sneezed in it. Because of my mood, and because I was trying to fight off a threatening migraine, this didn't strike me as funny until we were in the middle of church. So then I had one of those inexplicably-bursting-out-laughing moments that are always so much fun to explain.

I was going to grate up some cheese to put on the salad we were taking to our house church for Easter lunch. DON'T WORRY, I DIDN'T.

The other day I took Julia and Jenna to a park here in town. They have a merry-go-round there -- the steel kind they had on playgrounds when I was a kid that you can get going pretty fast if you have the right person pushing it. Julia was playing on it with some older elementary-age girls. They wanted me to push it, so I did. Then Jenna wanted on, so I slowed it down so I could put her in the middle and I wasn't going to push it so fast. One of the older girls said, with her eyebrows raised -- that "I know everything" look -- "You may not want to put her on this." I said, "Well, I'm her mom and I said she could get on it." The girl said, "Oh."

Believe me, I had my snooty, bratty moments at that age. But I don't recall ever trying to give parenting advice to someone who was already a PARENT. Guess I'm turning into a cranky mom.

Labels: , , ,

5 Comments:

  • At Mon Apr 09, 08:11:00 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    I can't believe you would laugh out loud in church (and without CP to have caused it!) She caused one of my most embarrassing moments at church. (Notice how I take no blame myself.) Now I have a phrase I commonly use: "It's all Carol's fault!" That is actually what I told the preacher when apologizing for interrupting his class!

    Oh, and is it possible my child was at the park in Little Rock? I don't think she would say that to anyone but me, but she is 11 and she does know everything!!!
    Carrie

    BTW: The post about the album covers makes me laugh out loud everytime I think of it. You are truly sick and I love it!

     
  • At Mon Apr 09, 09:32:00 AM, Blogger Aggiema (Michelle) said…

    I don't think you are a cranky Mom, I think a lot of kids today just don't have the same respect for adults that we were taught to have. I guess some of it is because we have to teach them to protect themselves from the few adults who would mistreat them, they think they don't have to respect any adult. I always tell my daughter that she does not have to go with anyone she doesn't know, or do anything that she knows is wrong but she does need to respect adults.

     
  • At Mon Apr 09, 11:14:00 AM, Blogger Deana Nall said…

    Carrie -- You? Laughing about a poor handless organist who is Truly A Miracle of God? For shame! Oh, and Carol has shared your embarrassing church moment (that was all her fault) with me. My own most embarrassing church moment involved my skirt that suddenly became afraid of heights. I blogged about it at some point...it's still too painful to think about...

     
  • At Mon Apr 09, 11:15:00 AM, Blogger sarahdawn said…

    The sneeze drawer cracks me up! I keep getting this mental picture of Jenna pulling open the drawer and I bust out laughing out loud. My children now think I'm very very strange. Wait, they already thought that.

     
  • At Mon Apr 09, 06:43:00 PM, Blogger Simpsongirl said…

    Deana,
    I always enjoy your blog so much - although I don't think I have ever posted a comment except one other time. Wow, that was a long intro.

    When I was about 6 years old, one of my little friends was spraying all of us with a water hose. I tattled on her, and told her mom "what she needs is a good, hard spanking!" I will never forget her mom's face glaring at me. "Don't you tell me how to raise my child!" I ran into my room and cried. I was scared of her for years after that.

    I also bossed my car pool drivers around.

    Now, by the loving grace of God, I have a child just like me. :-)

     

Post a Comment

<< Home