Deanaland

Saturday, November 25, 2006

Benton

Chad made it back from Texas last night. He has worked out a temporary arrangement for his mom, but there's a good chance she'll be coming to live with us soon. For now, we are very glad to have him home. I've been noticing funny little things, like how good his toothbrush looks next to mine.

Yesterday morning, before my parents had to leave for the airport, we decided to avoid the holiday shopping crowds and go to downtown Benton. Benton is a town just a few miles down I-30 from us. It's a cute town -- very small-town America. People get it confused with Bentonville, where Wal-Mart's corporate headquarters are. Benton does have a Wal-Mart (as does every Arkansas town with two or more goats -- state law), but no corporate office.

Jenna goes to Mothers Day Out in Benton, so I drive down Benton's Market St. every Tuesday and Thursday. I had never stopped to check out the shopping around there, though. Probably because I'm always in a rush to get back home and enjoy the rarity of using the bathroom in a house by myself. So my parents and the girls and I checked out what Benton had to offer.

We had lunch at the Burger Shack, which is or used to be owned by Jerry Van Dyke, or his brother, or something like that. You can't tell from this picture, but Jenna was perfectly AWFUL while we were there. You probably can tell from the picture that I am about to COMPLETELY LOSE MY PATIENCE.

After lunch, we walked down to the Saline County Courthouse, which is all decked out for Christmas.










"Hey! That's my nose! Someone get this vicious two-year-old away from me! Blitzen! Donner! Help me out here!"

Benton is such a cute town that I'm even willing to overlook this.

Then it was time to head to the airport. Bye, Granny and PaPa! See you in a few weeks!

6 Comments:

  • At Sat Nov 25, 12:11:00 PM, Blogger Mary Lou said…

    Yes, I could tell from your face that Jenna had pushed the envelope of your patience. I remember those days. She is sure cute though. How could you ever lose it with her? ;-) I'm a grandma, what can I say?
    I know you enjoyed your parents visit and I assure you they are already looking forward to seeing you all again.
    I saw Julia's picture in the big tree trunk and she is just getting to be a real beauty.
    Have a happy holiday.

     
  • At Sat Nov 25, 02:45:00 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    Is LR so cute you can overlook the Clinton library?

    Glad Chad is back & you had fun w/ your parents!
    CP

     
  • At Sat Nov 25, 02:47:00 PM, Blogger Deana Nall said…

    I haven't been to the Clinton Library yet, but when I go, I'm going to look for a replica of Monica under the replica desk in the replica Oval Office.

     
  • At Sat Nov 25, 05:51:00 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    and cigars?

     
  • At Sun Nov 26, 05:00:00 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    Just don't wear a blue dress from - oh you know where!

    Carrie

     
  • At Mon Nov 27, 06:29:00 PM, Blogger Paula Harrington said…

    Benton! My father was born in Benton. He was baptized at the HWY Church of Christ many, many years ago. His name was Paul Nicklaus. He was a gospel preacher until his death in 1980. I have fond memories of Benton. My grandfather lived there and we use to go visit him in his little white house which was near the railroad tracks (if memory serves). Thanks for having the pictures on your site. It took me back.

     

Post a Comment

<< Home