Deanaland

Monday, November 06, 2006

Losing my Religion... and My Skirt

I'm posting this mainly for two reasons:

1) So Beverly will know she's not alone in this world,

2) and because I figure word's gonna get around anyway.

Yesterday I wore a new skirt to church. This was no ordinary skirt. I had actually stepped out and bought it from somewhere besides Target. It cost quite a bit more than I usually spend on pieces of clothing, but this was a one-time thing to which I believed I was entitled since I buy pretty much everything else at Target.

So I put the skirt on yesterday morning. It looked nice. It felt nice. We went to church.

During worship, Jenna was a struggle as usual. Chad and I took turns wrestling with her and trying to keep her happy. As the congregation stood after the sermon, I picked up Jenna and stood up. At this moment, our friend Scott Williams leaned over and whispered, "I hate to be the bearer of bad news, but your skirt is about four inches lower than you want it to be."

I looked down and sure enough, my skirt had suddenly become very afraid of heights. Fortunately, my slip prevented the situation from becoming even more mortifying. I think that as stood up, Jenna's shoes got caught in the fabric and pulled my skirt down. I quickly got everything back into place and for the rest of the service, thought about all the cheap clothes from Target I bought over the years and how they had never failed me on such a grand level.

Later Scott said he didn't know if he should tell me or take a picture. He decided to tell me because he knew if I picked up Jenna again, "...we were going to have a funniest home video." Thank you, Scott.

So join us in the journey at Little Rock Church. At our church, you can grow in your relationship with God. You can deepen your relationships with your family in Christ. And if you're lucky, the youth minister's wife's clothes will come off right in the middle of church.

So this post won't end on such a horrifying note, here are some photos from the shopping trip I took with Julia on Thursday. She had the day off from school, so the two of us took Jenna to Mothers Day Out. It was also Chad's birthday, so we needed to go shopping. But where?


Well, duh.

Here's Julia in her favorite Target aisle: Polly Pocket!

You know it's a good day when you're out of school, your baby sister is in school, and your hands are full of Target bags. (We did get Chad some non-Polly Pocket presents, by the way.)

14 Comments:

  • At Mon Nov 06, 08:06:00 AM, Blogger Jenni said…

    A similar thing happened to one of my co-workers a few years ago -- she was wearing a long broomstick skirt and her desk chair rolled over the skirt .... so when she went to stand up, the skirt stayed with the chair....

    I love Target, too....

     
  • At Mon Nov 06, 08:16:00 AM, Blogger Deana Nall said…

    I forgot to add something! See that white Suburban in the upper right corner of the last picture? That's ours -- we got the BEST TARGET PARKING SPACE EVER.

     
  • At Mon Nov 06, 09:21:00 AM, Blogger Jacinda said…

    That reminds me of the time I walked across the street right in front of the AG building at ACU. I had on one of those short pleated skirts. I was going to walk into the AG building to find Chris.

    This older man, not old but non-traditional student, came up to me and said, "I don't mean to embarrass you, but I have a daughter your age and I would want someone to tell her, your skirt is tucked into your pantyhose."

    AAAAGGGGHHH!!! Walking across one of the busiest streets on campus! Mortification!

     
  • At Mon Nov 06, 01:28:00 PM, Blogger Nellie said…

    Did I ever tell you about the time my skirt fell to the floor in front of a classroom of second graders? I used it as a teachable moment to tell all the girls that they had just witnessed a reason why they should ALWAYS wear a slip!

    Julia looks wonderful! She has grown up even more since you left Baytown. Tell her hi for me and that she looks beautiful in the pictures!

     
  • At Mon Nov 06, 03:51:00 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    Of course, I loved the story of losing your skirt in church. If they don't already know you are a hoot; I think they may have an inkling, and are gloating over taking you from us. Julia's hair looks shorter. Does she still like to drink the milk intended for coffee. Meet me tormorrow at Starbucks. Timothy's gran.

     
  • At Mon Nov 06, 04:48:00 PM, Blogger KentF said…

    hey Deana - is that a picture of a little blue wheel chair on a pole in front of your Suburban?

     
  • At Mon Nov 06, 08:57:00 PM, Blogger WinSpin said…


    That would never have happened with a wrap-a-round skirt ...

     
  • At Tue Nov 07, 04:30:00 AM, Blogger Beverly said…

    hahahahhaha..girlfriend, welcome to the club!

     
  • At Tue Nov 07, 07:56:00 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    I once travelled the length of our church up the center aisle with the back of my skirt tucked into my pantyhose, which was bad enough, but I was about 12 and it was my first time to wear hose & heels.


    We HATE Polly Pocket! The creepy rubber clothes..the shoes tiny enough to inhale...and what does she need a purse to match every outfit for, anyway?

     
  • At Wed Nov 08, 12:16:00 PM, Blogger elizabeth said…

    I will never forget being a 9th grader at Abilene High. We were sitting in chemistry when our teacher walked in the door. She began her lecture then turned to the black board. Her skirt was tucked into her pantyhose. This was the first time I had seen a 40 plus year old body up close and personal. It is forever burned into my brain! This is why we should all wear pants....

     
  • At Thu Nov 09, 02:33:00 PM, Blogger Lisa said…

    Hey! That's my Target!

    (I live 2 miles from there, and I can feel it sucking me in every time I go outside!)

     
  • At Thu Nov 09, 04:19:00 PM, Blogger Deana Nall said…

    Lisa -- I live two miles from there, too! Maybe we're roommates and we haven't noticed each other yet.

     
  • At Fri Nov 10, 05:28:00 AM, Blogger Paul Fagala said…

    4 inches is better than 34 inches. One of my teachers in high school had her skirt get caught in her desk drawer and when she stood up and moved, the skirt stayed. It wasn't an experience I remember fondly as she was my grandmother's age at the time. I do remember something positive - she was so embarrassed that she left the classroom and didn't come back. We had a free period! Congratulations on the great parking space!

     
  • At Sun Nov 19, 03:42:00 AM, Blogger . . . . . said…

    Great writing and funny to boot!

     

Post a Comment

<< Home