Deanaland

Sunday, February 05, 2006

The Mortifying Moments of My Life

I'm starting a new series about really embarrassing moments of my life. I'm sure I'll regret this eventually.

Mortifying Moment #1:

This was a few years ago at Julia's fourth birthday party. The husband of a friend of mine had brought their two girls. His name is Tommy. He had never really been around Chad and me since it was usually me hanging out with Tommy's wife Jennifer. Anyway, I hadn't had the chance to introduce Tommy and Chad. For some reason, Tommy thought Chad was my brother (this was not the first time someone had made that mistake). I jumped in and said, "Oh, no -- he's my husband." Of course, there was NO NEED TO CONTINUE, but I did. "I guess he could be both," I said. "But we're not from Arkansas." Tommy looked at me without smiling at all and said, "Oh, well, I am."

Yes, Tommy grew up in Fayetteville, Arkansas.

Tommy is now good friends with Chad and me. (His wife Jennifer died of cancer in 2004.) Our girls spend a lot of time with each other and a lot of nights at each others' houses. I asked Tommy about the "Arkansas Incident" a while back and he laughed. "It was great, watching you squirm," he said.

8 Comments:

  • At Sun Feb 05, 07:57:00 PM, Blogger Jacinda said…

    That's great! I'm always sticking my foot in my mouth!

     
  • At Mon Feb 06, 07:21:00 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    muahaha! You should have asked, "So, I guess your mom's your aunt and your dad's your uncle then?" hahaha I usually get a kick out of that b/c my mom's sister is her cousin (b/c of marriage). hahahaha

    ><>In HIM<><
    Michelle

     
  • At Mon Feb 06, 07:48:00 AM, Blogger janjanmom said…

    I'm smiling, because usually people say KY more than Arkansas.

    HA HA AK!!

     
  • At Mon Feb 06, 11:37:00 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    I happily share my trophy with you, Deana. May you display it with grace and poise, much as I have. http://www.plainenglish.co.uk/footinmouthtrophy.jpg

     
  • At Mon Feb 06, 02:50:00 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    Hey janjanmom.....

    You just said "Ha Ha Alaska" The abreviation for Arkansas is AR.

    If you are going to insult a whole state full of people, make sure you know what state you are insulting.

     
  • At Mon Feb 06, 03:11:00 PM, Blogger SG said…

    I think you are brave to share these moments. I have so many MORTIFYING MOMENTS of my own but I'm not quite ready to relive and share them!

     
  • At Mon Feb 06, 10:13:00 PM, Blogger Cheryl said…

    Oh, the moments we would love to forget but forever remember! Thanks for your courage to share...too funny.

     
  • At Tue Feb 07, 07:23:00 PM, Blogger Beverly said…

    Oh man...haha..how about finding out the feet you are rubbing, under your in-laws dinner table, are not your new husband's feet, but belong to your brother-in-law who has a satisfied grin on his face,across the table...mortified..yes.

     

Post a Comment

<< Home