Deanaland

Wednesday, January 25, 2006

Healing

I know this is Wednesday and I'm supposed to post my weekly column. I'll get to that in a minute.

Last night, Chad and I were able to witness God pouring out his healing on a broken family. This situation has been heavy on our hearts for the last couple of months. It was one of those seemingly hopeless situations that I, in some ways, had given up on. But God came through and did what many thought was impossible. We worship a God of healing and of second (and third, and fourth, etc.) chances, and we got to be part of a family being put back together last night. We love you, H, L, and B!

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

And now for a meaningless rant about the evils of Polly Pocket:

Polly Pocket's taking over

By Deana Nall
Baytown Sun

Published January 25, 2006

Bob Eckert

Chairman and CEO,

Mattel, Inc.

Dear Mr. Eckert,

So you’re in charge of a huge toy company. Sounds like fun.

First, let me say that, most of the time, I love toys. One great thing about being a parent is having the excuse to play with toys again. Well into my thirties, I have been known to dress Barbies, build Ello houses and bake sugar cookies in an Easy Bake Oven — and not necessarily when my daughters are around.

But I must complain about one of your company’s products. It’s Polly Pocket. She’s taking over my house.

We started out with just one Polly Pocket — a cute little blond-ponytailed doll who lived in a plastic suitcase that opened up into a trendy dorm room-looking thing.

I’m not sure how this happened — maybe Ken escaped from the Barbie box — but Polly began reproducing. At an alarming rate. The Polly Pockets quickly outgrew the suitcase/dorm room and spread out all over my daughter’s bedroom.

Now there are colonies of them living in her toy box, under her bed and on the shelves in her closet. They have also moved down the hall into the bathroom. A few have even made it all the way through the house to my bathroom. I’ve noticed they are attracted to bathtubs.

If it were just the dolls, the problem would be bad enough. But each Polly Pocket comes with clothes. Lots of them. Some Polly Pockets even have little hangers for hanging the clothes up.

But the shoes are the worst.

I grew up with Barbies and I remember how tiny and annoying (and prone to getting sucked up in the vacuum cleaner) their little shoes were. But Polly Pocket dolls are about a tenth the size of Barbies, which means their shoes are nearly microscopic. In fact, I believe a person could inhale a Polly Pocket shoe and never even know it.

One day they’ll perform an autopsy on some poor old woman — a mother who raised a houseful of girls — and they’ll find her lungs to be full of Polly Pocket shoes and coordinating purses and hats. Then you’ll get sued. Just thought I should warn you.

Anyway, I don’t know what your company has done to the Polly Pockets to cause them to multiply in this manner, but I’m asking you to do something to stop it. I saw them convening in my daughter’s room the other day. It looked like they were trying to form some kind of government. So the sooner, the better.

In the meantime, I’m taking action. I’ve armed myself with about a dozen of those clear plastic storage boxes. Late one night, when my children are asleep, I’m going to go in and incarcerate every Polly Pocket I can find. Then I’ll stack their little Sterilite prisons high up in the closet.

And I’m going to keep Ken far, far away.

Thank you for your time,

Deana Nall

Baytown, TX

12 Comments:

  • At Wed Jan 25, 06:20:00 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    Have you ever tried to dress a Polly Pocket? IMPOSSIBLE! and I'm 34!!! No wonder she's multiplying, nobody can keep her clothes on!
    cp

     
  • At Wed Jan 25, 08:34:00 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    Just think - our daughters will have great eye-hand coordination and fine motor skills. Of course, they will have developed a rather unattractive tic that occurs whenever they get around small rubber things.

    Carrie

     
  • At Wed Jan 25, 11:17:00 AM, Blogger Nellie said…

    Praise be to God! Let the healing begin and continue. This just shows me that we must truly wait upon the Lord, for his "clock" (though non-existent) is always on time. Wish I could have been there with you all!

     
  • At Wed Jan 25, 11:19:00 AM, Blogger Kelley said…

    A little FYI for you mothers of girls....in houses with boys, it's not Polly Pockets, it's micro cars. Smaller than hot wheels. They like to crank their little motors up at night and strategically place themselves in the hall and beside the bed so that you step on them in the arch of your foot during night when you have to get up to check on the kids or go to the bathroom. They multiply too, so I think there must be a tiny sized Detroit under someone's bed I haven't located yet.

     
  • At Wed Jan 25, 11:33:00 AM, Blogger Deana Nall said…

    Nell -- you were there in spirit. We miss you and hope your mom is doing better!

     
  • At Wed Jan 25, 02:31:00 PM, Blogger Cheryl said…

    Amen! and Amen!

    God's Healing Hand is perfect.

    Polly Pockets have in fact developed beyond plastic people powers...for instance...I confined our Polly's to plastic tubs--but found the lid broken and the Polly's escaped....
    Just a warning...metal and locks may be appropriate :-)

    PS I was 2 and 3 when we lived in Hobbs. I have vivid memories of that house though...

     
  • At Wed Jan 25, 02:34:00 PM, Blogger SG said…

    Our carpet has a perma stain from where Polly's swimming pool sprung a leak and Kolby tried to clean it up with a brand new RED t-shirt. I too was banded from touching Polly after I accidentally tore the wedding dress in two while trying to get polly ready for her big day. The funny thing is I bought these PP thinking they were small and easy to store. I must confess that I throw away any shoes I find outside of Kolby's room aka Polly-ville.

     
  • At Wed Jan 25, 07:22:00 PM, Blogger Kyle said…

    Did Julia ever get that bird. If not, just think about what you could be picking up everywhere.

     
  • At Thu Jan 26, 06:00:00 AM, Blogger Jeff said…

    This is hilarous. I can't tell you how many times I've stepped on a Polly or a Polly accessory. And they are *always* in or around the bathtub. And then there's the Polly car and the Polly plane and the Polly apartment and the Polly Wal-Mart and the Polly convention center.....

    When will it stop?!?

    --

     
  • At Thu Jan 26, 09:27:00 PM, Blogger Heather said…

    The only people who give my girls PP are either (a) distant relatives or (b) friends' parents who want to torture me.

    In our house, Polly's life expectancy is somewhere between 2 and 3 weeks. At that point in time, she makes a secret trip to the city dump and never makes her way back.

    With so few Pollys in our house, the girls never notice they've gone on their extended vacation.

    Maybe you can tell the girls that Polly has to return to her Target home and they can visit her weekly (or daily) there. {smirk}

     
  • At Sun Jan 29, 06:38:00 PM, Blogger Susan - said…

    I was introduced to Polly Pocket during Children's Church today. I now see what you mean. This little girl had at least 20 pieces of Polly stuff in a Ziploc snack bag. Good grief!

     
  • At Fri Feb 03, 11:03:00 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    it seems that I should be glad not to have polly pocket. I am single and therefore no kids and I think that if I do have a family on day I am going to ban polly pockets.
    LW

     

Post a Comment

<< Home