Deanaland

Sunday, January 15, 2006

Shawna and Sundays

One of our former youth group members died under mysterious circumstances last summer. She was a sweet girl who fought more than her share of demons. Today's paper has a story about what her family believes was a botched investigation. You can read it here.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

I hate Sundays like today. Here's what our day looked like:

9 a.m. Chad and I lead the high school class
10 a.m. Worship
11:30 a.m. Potluck lunch meeting for small group leaders (we lead the college group)
3:30 p.m. Meeting for youth group volunteers
5 p.m. Worship
6:30 p.m. Junior high kids at our house

A lot of times when we have Sundays like this, I don't have time to go to church because I'm so busy getting ready for the other stuff. We had Julia's birthday party yesterday (which was her most fun party ever, by the way), so I didn't have time to get anything ready for today's potluck. So I left church right after communion this morning to go to the store. Then I had to miss worship tonight to get ready for the jr. high kids. It's just really dumb to have a schedule like this. I usually enjoy all the things we did today -- as long as they're not all on the same day.

A couple of weeks ago, my parents spent a Sunday at Galveston and instead of popping into a church somewhere, had their own time with God on the beach at sunset. Now that's a real day of worship, if you ask me.

8 Comments:

  • At Sun Jan 15, 08:13:00 PM, Blogger Mary Lou said…

    I can so relate and remember how it was to have so many happenings piled on top of the other on a Sunday. I sort of felt like that today too. Instead of hosting teens, I sang with the ladies at Swan Manor then turned back around and went to church again. Only I of course don't have the little kids anymore to make it even harder like you do. All I have to say is next time there is a pot luck and you don't have anything prepared...stay at church...there is always plenty to share. I've been there done that and in the end, I wished I had not gone to the trouble for KFC and missed church.
    Hang in there, you're doing a great job.

     
  • At Sun Jan 15, 09:40:00 PM, Blogger Karen said…

    We left for church around 8:15 this morning (we live almost 45 minutes away) and didn't get back home until 9pm tonight! I had a special praise team practice at 4pm, one of the kids and my husband had a small group activity from 5:30-7:30, and my oldest had youth group from 6-7:30. If we had come home after lunch, we would have had to turn around and drive back in an hour/hour and a half. Crazy days!

     
  • At Mon Jan 16, 07:56:00 AM, Blogger Beverly said…

    Crazy days. Wouldn't you be surprised if God were to share with you all the hearts He touched through you during your crazy day, everywhere you went. I am a much bigger fan of easy going days when each task has the appropriate allotted time and all is well with my world but then I remember Jesus standing up amidst a storm and spoke a word, calmed the sea and impacted hearts to this day.
    He did some of His most meaningful work in chaos.:)

     
  • At Mon Jan 16, 09:47:00 AM, Blogger Jenni at talking hairdryer said…

    I am so there with you! I am also a "ymw" with small children. After days like yesterday, it makes me glad that MLK was born so I could really have a day of rest!

     
  • At Mon Jan 16, 11:52:00 AM, Blogger Kelley said…

    So I guess we pass the idle hands test?!!! But we fall into the tired an worn out category! There are worse things than to be worn out from seeking to serve the Lord!

     
  • At Mon Jan 16, 12:50:00 PM, Blogger mom23 said…

    I remember many a sunday like that when we were in youth ministry. Now that we are in "big people" ministry, I don't have nearly as many Sundays like that. But, I still like to keep Mondays low key for the kids to recoup.

     
  • At Mon Jan 16, 01:18:00 PM, Blogger Sarah P said…

    We talked about this yesterday! I love being a youth minister's wife but there are days when I wonder what worship was really like pre-youth ministry. I can't remember.

    You've inspired me to blog. It's been a while.

    You're doing great Deana! I know that God was honored by everything you did that Sunday, even if you didn't get to worship like you'd have liked to. Chad couldn't do it all without you!

     
  • At Tue Jan 17, 05:58:00 PM, Blogger elizabeth said…

    I know a couple who observe the "Sabbath" on Sundays. After church, they commit to nothing. When I was a newlywed, I thought that was kind of silly, but now I think it is a great idea!

     

Post a Comment

<< Home