Deanaland

Monday, May 04, 2009

Girls' Weekend

My bff Carol and I just had our super fun girls' weekend. She got here Thursday and left Sunday afternoon. We had SO much fun. After being "new" for almost three years in AR, it was so great to get to hang out with such a good friend that I've known for so long. (Notice how careful I was not to say OLD friend.) Carol and I met in the fall of 1989 (almost TWENTY years ago) during Welcome Week at ACU. I was 18 and she was 17. We were just kids! We were great friends that year, then roommates for two years, I found her a husband and we were each others' maids/matrons of honor. And we've managed to stay friends even though we haven't lived in the same town since 1993. (Maybe that's WHY we've managed to stay friends. ha ha)

Here we are as college sophomores in 1990.












Until last Thursday, Carol and I have only seen each other for a couple of hours in three years. In September 2005, my family evacuated to her house during Hurricane Rita. Despite the natural disaster that prompted our visit, we had a great time. (Even though both families got quite ill that week.)

Then we moved to AR, then Carol got pregnant with their third child and had some complications, then she had Katie, then the mother of her husband Patrick was diagnosed with cancer, and she passed away last November. I went to Texas for the funeral and Carol and I decided we should get together some time when something bad is NOT happening.

So she flew in Thursday and we ate out a lot, talked a lot, laughed a lot (Carol laughed so hard at Capriccio Grill that she had tears running down her face. And that was before we even got our drinks) and ate out some more. Saturday we shopped before going to stay at the Peabody. The next day we slept late, skipped church (oh yes, we did) and went to lunch at Cheeburger Cheeburger. Then back to the airport and back to real life.

We had so much fun that we didn't really care that it rained the whole time she was here. When I got home, Chad said, "You two should do that once a year." I said, "Once a year? She's coming back next weekend!"

Not really. But that would be cool.

Labels: ,

2 Comments:

  • At Mon May 04, 05:34:00 PM, Blogger Nellie said…

    You two look like you had an absolutely grand time together. Annual friend gatherings is a good idea. :)

     
  • At Wed May 06, 08:09:00 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    Hey, this is Ginger from Here's My Cup Lord. I am Rena's little sister from Insert Grace Here. I wanted to take a moment and invite you to a special Wedding Web-Shower on behalf of Jenifriend of Enjoyer of the Journey. Past the following link in your browser to view the details and join us on the 14th of each month.
    Thank you and be blessed.
    Rena and Ginger

    http://heresmycuplord.com/2009/05/01/its-your-day-jenifriend/

     

Post a Comment

<< Home