Deanaland

Thursday, February 19, 2009

Safe distance

You know all those warnings that come with the Wii, like "have plenty of space around you... don't stand too close to anyone or anything..." Well, this is why:



Tuesday afternoon, Jenna was playing Wii when it was time to pick up Julia from school. I had told her not to start another game, but she started one anyway. I decided not to fight it and thought I would put her shoes on her while she played. So I was putting her shoes on her while she played baseball and she must have knocked one out of the park because her Wii remote and my eyebrow made contact with so much force that I didn't know what had happened for a few seconds. Then I heard a combination moaning/sobbing sound, which I then realized was coming from me. Then I drew my hand away from my eye and saw that quite a bit of blood was involved. At this point, poor Jenna FREAKED. She not only hit Mommy and made her cry, but made her bleed, too! She was devastated. So, while choking back sobs and running to the bathroom, I was yelling, "Don't feel bad! It wasn't your fault!" Because really, I shouldn't have been so close to her while she was playing. In the bathroom, I frantically grabbed a wad of toilet paper while dripping blood all over the sink and counter. (Which I had to clean up before house church that night, lest anyone think really weird things are going on at our house.)

I got Jenna in the car and drove with one hand to the Julia's school while keeping the almost-soaked toilet paper wad on my eyebrow. Julia got in the car and her mouth dropped open. I must have looked like I had been shot. When I told her what happened, she said, "I've always told you Jenna was strong." (Julia has been the victim of Jenna's brutality -- intentional or otherwise -- for 4.5 years.)

Two days later, I've got an inch-long gash under my eyebrow and a bruise covering my eyelid. Make-up and strategically-placed bangs help cover it up pretty well. I probably should have had it checked out to see if it needed a stitch or two, but Chad was out of the country (which he says is proof he did not do this to me) and I had to do two phone interviews as soon as I got home with the girls. If it scars, I'm hoping it will just make me look cool.

Labels: , ,

12 Comments:

  • At Thu Feb 19, 11:53:00 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    wow. nice story and great pic. Hope you heal quickly and that your daughter's emotional scar is smaller than your physical one. I blame Chad. If he were in the country - none of this would've happened.

     
  • At Thu Feb 19, 12:37:00 PM, Blogger the blogivers said…

    Yikes! Hope it heals soon :)

     
  • At Thu Feb 19, 05:40:00 PM, Blogger WinSpin said…

    Well, if you ask me (and no one ever does for some reason) I think that now we know why Chad left for Mexico, hoping that Jenna would get the blame.

     
  • At Fri Feb 20, 01:17:00 PM, Blogger Diane said…

    We purchased those colorful guards for our remotes...they are squishy & a lot softer - you probably would have a headache, but may have escaped the blood! Hope you feel better!

     
  • At Fri Feb 20, 01:49:00 PM, Blogger Deana Nall said…

    This comment has been removed by the author.

     
  • At Fri Feb 20, 01:50:00 PM, Blogger Deana Nall said…

    Ours had the rubber cover on it when it happened. If it hadn't been there, I might have had a full-fledged brain injury!

     
  • At Fri Feb 20, 05:02:00 PM, Blogger Keith Brenton said…

    Glad you didn't turn the other cheek!

     
  • At Sun Feb 22, 08:40:00 AM, Blogger Diane said…

    Oh my! Look out MLB - Jenna's swinging!

     
  • At Mon Feb 23, 04:36:00 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    Ouch!!!!

     
  • At Thu Feb 26, 01:06:00 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    Finally had a second to check out your blog. Katie was right. You are stinking hilarious. You definetly have a wonderful talent for writing. I hope your eye has healed. I did not even notice it at the women's retreat.

     
  • At Fri Feb 27, 04:24:00 AM, Blogger Clarissa said…

    Wow, Deana! Way to get into the Wii! You crack me up, posting this picture.

    I hope it hasn't been too painful (the injury, as opposed to the posting of the picture.)

    :-)

     
  • At Sun Mar 15, 12:30:00 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    I am thinking that if I were smart ( I said if) I would invent some really cool nerfy helmets to be packaged with wii remotes.....they could save lives.

     

Post a Comment

<< Home