I'm working on my own list of banished words, which I'm sure I'll expand later:
"Deana's List of Words to be Banished from the Vocabularies of Decent Human Beings Everywhere"
1) “Hoot” as in “That was a hoot!” It just sounds so hick and backwoods to me. Maybe because it’s part of “hootenanny.” Which I also never say.
2) No matter how tired I am, I never, never say “I’m pooped!” And I don’t think you should say it, either. Poop is excrement. It’s not something you are.
3) I don’t call shirts “tops.” I call them shirts. Not sure why.
4) Naturally, I never say “$%^#.” Oh, wait a second. Sometimes I do. So never mind.
5) I try to avoid “polar bear.” I had to go to speech therapy as a kid to work on my “R” sound, and “polar bear” still trips me up sometimes. When I do have to say it, I slow down and concentrate on saying it right so I don’t make a fool of myself.
6) I don’t like the word “discreet.” It makes me think of tampon commercials.
That's my list so far. I'll add more words as they get on my nerves.
Labels: banished words