Deanaland

Saturday, April 04, 2009

Sacrifice

I've been looking at the newly-released photos of the MLK assassination over at Life magazine. This is the one that grips me every time I look at it. Here is this black man -- the brother of the owner of the Lorraine Motel -- whose grandchildren and great-grandchildren will have rights he never had. Because of this blood he's cleaning up. It's just chilling. I think I could stare at this photo for a month and still not get all the ramifications of it. I wonder if they can award Pulitzer Prizes this long after a photo has been taken.

Labels:

4 Comments:

  • At Sat Apr 04, 02:32:00 PM, Anonymous Amy Boone said…

    As I studied this picture, I thought how poignant it was that the blood was seeping into the crack in the concrete just like MLK's influence does today-- seeps into the cracks of hearts and lives in ways often unacknowledged or recognized.

     
  • At Sat Apr 04, 04:34:00 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    I love how how you are so sensitive to historical and beautiful things. I felt like I was on hallowed ground in MLK's church.I just stood still and imagined I was hearing the "I Have A Dream" speech. Actually I felt he was near. Your children are so blessed to have you as mother...You teach them so much, beginning with our God is an awesome God.

     
  • At Mon Apr 06, 02:41:00 PM, Blogger Kelly said…

    Sounds cheesy, but I was forever changed after going to the Civil Rights Museum, which is in the former Lorrraine Motel. Powerful place.

     
  • At Sat May 20, 02:37:00 AM, Anonymous Grilled Cheese Recipes said…

    Lovelly blog you have here

     

Post a Comment

<< Home