Deanaland

Sunday, March 01, 2009

Better!

So who's tired of looking at my Wii-injured eye? I AM. Therefore, I'm updating my blog to push that photo down a little. Incidentally, my eye is much better now. I can use my eyebrow pencil without crying.

Some recent excitement (that doesn't involve bleeding or bruising... yet) is our lovely new toy. Some friends sent us a Target gift card a couple of weeks ago and I knew exactly what we needed. We needed to pulse. We needed to chop. We needed to blend, shred and liquefy. We needed an Oster 12-speed blender/food processor combo.



Ta-da!!

There is no end to the fun we can have with this new toy of ours. The first day, Julia and her friend Angel came home from school and we made Thin Mint milkshakes. Oh, YES. They were grand. The next day, the girls came home and we looked around the kitchen for stuff to make a milkshake with (since all the Thin Mints were consumed the day before.) We found bananas, chocolate ice cream and a Hershey bar. So we made Banana Chocolate-Chip milkshakes, which were even better than the Thin Mint ones.

But at this point, I started to get a little nervous. I got a gym membership a month or so ago, and I realized that daily milkshakes might undo everything I was getting accomplished at the gym. So I decided I should fire up the food processor attachment and make something healthy. My friend Katie gave me a recipe and, a quick trip to the store later, I was enjoying hummus on wheat pita bread with roasted red peppers. YUM. (OK, a different kind of "yum" than the milkshakes, but still yum.)

We're excited to see what all this thing can do. The other day, Julia pureed some fruit, poured it into a cup, froze it and later said it was the yummiest thing she had ever eaten. This appliance is life-changing, I'm telling you!

Just so you won't think I'm spending all my time blending things or getting socked in the head by the Wii remote, here's my latest article from Arkansas Life magazine. It was a lot of fun to research and write (I got to interview some Arkansas celebrities, including Jancey Sheats -- a Baytown girl) and it helped get me motivated to start working out regularly. Hey, if I can do it, ANYONE can.

Labels: , , ,

2 Comments:

  • At Fri Mar 06, 10:05:00 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    I know you didn's solicit smoothie recipes - but this one is so good I just had to share!

    Fruit Salad Smoothies - Make your favorite fruit salad. (A great secret ingredient is pineapple.) When it's a little too wilty to enjoy as a salad (usually 2 days later), freeze it. When you want a smoothie, just mix the frozen fruit salad in your fabulous new blender with fruit juice (I use apple) & a touch of yogurt.

    My kids love it for an after school snack. No need to sweeten with sugar or add ice cubes.

    I'm a Believer!
    Laura

     
  • At Sat Mar 07, 09:18:00 AM, Blogger Keith Brenton said…

    Good article!

    I met Leslie Basham when she appeared in a commercial I wrote for a bank in Shreveport.

    In 1987.

    Somewhere, there is an attic portrait of that gal aging into decrepitude, because she still looks exactly the same.

    (I'm sure a good diet and exercise has nothing to do with it.)

     

Post a Comment

<< Home