Deanaland

Friday, October 03, 2008

Out of the mouths of... something

The other day, Julia's friend marched up to me and said, "Julia said you were pregnant five times!"

That threw me for a second because I thought she meant Julia said "My mom is pregnant" five times.

"Oh," I said, after I figured out what she meant. "Yeah, I was pregnant five times but three of the babies died."

"That is just CREEPY!" she said.

"Well, they're called miscarriages and they're actually fairly common," I told her.

"That is so WEIRD!" she said.

I was so stunned by this conversation that it wasn't until she stomped away and moved on to something else that I realized I probably should have said something about how rude it was for her to talk to me that way. I know she's only nine, but at nine I knew what a miscarriage was and I certainly knew not to charge up to someone who had experienced one (or three) and act like that.

The whole thing put me in a funk for the rest of the day.

Anyway. We're still going strong with the Grocery Game. I haven't paid for toilet paper since I started four weeks ago. Here's one of my latest bargains. The AirWick FreshMatic Ultra Automatic Spray usually sells for $11.99 at Kroger. They went on sale for $5.99 last week, and I got a $5-off coupon in the paper that day. So I got it for 99 cents! I got apple cinnamon and it makes the house smell all harvesty. The only thing is how LOUD it is. We don't really notice it during the day, but at night when the house is quiet, it sounds like someone is sneezing in the hallway every time it goes off. Scared me to death the first time it happened. Now we turn it off before going to bed. Anyway, I've been able to buy what we need for the week and stockpile stuff and I'm still spending a lot less than I did before. I used to spend $130 a week on groceries and now it's more like $70. I spent a little more than that this week because I had duplicate coupons and decided to stock up on a few things. We won't be buying deodorant until halfway through 2009 and we have more cereal than Jerry Seinfeld.

Labels: ,

5 Comments:

  • At Fri Oct 03, 11:05:00 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    That poor little girl is too uniformed for her own good. Someone needs to sit her down and talk to her! I told my daughter's friend that her sister and brothers GOT to go straight to heaven. She seemed intrigued.
    Question: Would the Grocery Game be worth it if there were no double coupon days?
    Carrie

     
  • At Sat Oct 04, 10:47:00 AM, Blogger Kelley said…

    Another question about the grocery store game.
    We are fresh food, organic kind of eaters. We don't eat a lot of processed stuff. Would the grocery store game work at all for that?

     
  • At Sun Oct 05, 11:26:00 AM, Blogger Aggiema (Michelle) said…

    I am really sorry that girl brought up such painful memories for you. By 9, she should know better and it is sad that her parents have not taught her about miscarriage and explained how it is rude and insensitive to make such remarks. You never completely get over the pain of miscarriage (and what might have been) but you certainly don't need the memory of it thrust in you face by a 9 yr old. Hope this brings you a better week and less rude 9 yr olds! :0)

     
  • At Sun Oct 05, 03:44:00 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    We've done the grocery game thing for about 3 years, now. I love walking out after the checkout lady announces how much I've saved, and all the customers around me are looking on in such awe. "Yes, I'm brilliant!" is usually whispered under my breath.
    Not thinking it's so good for organic buys - those items are not usually on sale as much.
    Cecille

     
  • At Mon Oct 06, 06:06:00 AM, Blogger Susan - said…

    I am sorry that you had to go through that. What a rude child! Even my boys understand about miscarriages. They are 10 and 8 and I have had to explain a couple of times why so-and-so's mom is not having a baby afterall and that the family is sad.
    If that girl's mother thinks she is protecting her daughter - well, I hope she reads your blog.

     

Post a Comment

<< Home