Deanaland

Saturday, September 20, 2008

Memories of the Coast

Because I've either lived on the Texas Gulf Coast or had relatives living there as long as I can remember, I have literally a lifetime of memories of that area...especially the beaches of Galveston and the Bolivar Peninsula. That photo is of the girls and me at Crystal Beach in 2005, when Julia was six and Jenna was not quite one. I have deadlines looming for now, but I'm planning on blogging my coastal memories when I get a chance.


We've also learned that Lakewood, our Baytown neighborhood, sustained some pretty major damage from the hurricane. Actually, we keep hearing the term "war zone." We're not even sure if our old house is still standing. Our friends the Springers lost most of their house to a giant oak tree during the storm, and we understand they are one of many families who has suffered that kind of loss. (The Springers visited us here in AR for a few days last January. That's a photo of Julia and Meagan's joyful reunion when we picked them up at the airport.) A few months ago I blogged about how much I loved Lakewood, and you can read it here.

On a happier note, I'm still working on a feature about gourmet shops in the area for the Nov. issue of Arkansas Life magazine. Thursday, to combine a lunch date with research, Chad and I went to the Boulevard Bread Company in the Heights. It is locally owned and they bake a jillion different kinds of bread fresh every day. There is no other place like it around here -- I may never go to Panera again! I ordered the hippiest thing on the menu, which was a vegan hummus sandwich. I know it sounds kinda gross, but it was SO yummy and I've been craving it ever since. I guess I'll be going back soon!

Labels: , , , ,

1 Comments:

  • At Mon Sep 22, 06:40:00 AM, Blogger KentF said…

    Thanks for this Deana - and I'm looking forward to your memories. While my family is fine and we suffered no more than a few lost shingles and branches - coastal SE Texas is suffering mightily. I know one thing I hear alot is "does anyone out there care".

    Obviously I know you do, but I wonder if others simply don't want to think about it, or don't know how to respond to such devastation.

     

Post a Comment

<< Home