Deanaland

Saturday, August 16, 2008

Mrs. Kafween

My church family has lost a precious soul. Kathleen (or, as Jenna called her, "Mrs. Kafween") died yesterday.

I'm not up to saying much about this yet, but I do want to share one of my favorite memories of Kathleen. One day after church, Jenna was running around with her magic wand and pretending to turn people into different things. Most of them were saying, "Oh, that's cute, Jenna," and going on with their conversations. But when Jenna ran up to Kathleen, waved her wand and informed Kathleen she had just turned her into a frog, Kathleen stopped what she was doing, squatted down and hopped away while saying "Ribbet, ribbet..." Jenna thought it was the greatest thing ever - she thought her wand actually worked. That's the kind of person Kathleen was...the kind who would act like a goofball just to make a 3-year-old's day. No wonder Jenna loved Kathleen and ran up to hug her every time she saw her.

Jenna doesn't know Kathleen is gone. I don't know how to explain suicide to a 3-year-old. Our church, and especially Kathleen's husband and two children, need all the prayers we can get.

Labels: ,

9 Comments:

  • At Sun Aug 17, 11:20:00 AM, Blogger Unknown said…

    That is a sweet story and exactly how I would like to remember Kathleen. Thank you for sharing it.

     
  • At Sun Aug 17, 02:55:00 PM, Blogger Kelly said…

    Deana, I am so sorry. That is a terribly devastating situation with no easy answers and a lot of sadness. Many prayers for you all.

     
  • At Sun Aug 17, 03:47:00 PM, Blogger Carol said…

    I am praying for you and your church family as you deal with this loss.

    I love the story about her.

     
  • At Sun Aug 17, 05:51:00 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    I am so sorry for your personal and church loss. As a teacher I've had to deal with two student suicides and there are just no easy answers; no answers at all, really. I'll be praying for you and your church during these trying times.

     
  • At Sun Aug 17, 06:08:00 PM, Blogger Keith Brenton said…

    I don't know how to explain suicide to anyone. It never makes any sense.

    May God continue to bless your church family.

     
  • At Mon Aug 18, 06:26:00 AM, Blogger Kelley said…

    The valley of the shadow of death is especially dark after a suicide. You, your family, your church family and Kathleen's family are in my prayers.

     
  • At Mon Aug 18, 10:18:00 AM, Blogger SG said…

    I'm so sorry! prayers for her family, your church, your family and you!

     
  • At Mon Aug 18, 01:00:00 PM, Blogger Lara said…

    Deana, I remember emailing you about meeting Kathleen when I heard you were moving to LRC. I knew you'd love her. In Searcy we are all just hearing the news and praying because we are so saddened beyond words. Kathleen was such a beautiful woman. Hers was the first "testimony" a lot of us young "cofc" ladies had ever heard. While I don't understand what happened, I just have this feeling that God understood Kathleen and loves her and has already welcomed her home. Satan is the master of lies. I've believed a lot of them in my life. He's so good at it. She must have been unable to get past them. I don't know, I'm going on and on, but the shock and sadness are too fresh. I'll be praying for her church family and for Jenna when she realizes Miss Kafween is gone.

     
  • At Mon Aug 18, 01:56:00 PM, Blogger McCulleys said…

    Oh Deana - I am so sorry to hear about your church's loss. We too have experienced that same type of loss in our church this summer(a parent of a youth group member). Truly devastating. I understand on not knowing what to say to your kids. We experienced the same with our son. We are praying for your church and the healing that will come.

    Monty and Heather

     

Post a Comment

<< Home