Deanaland

Wednesday, July 16, 2008

Twilight


The Twilight series is all the rage, and since I manage to steer clear of things that are "all the rage" (except for that Hannah Montana concert I went to last winter), the Twilight series nearly passed me by.

Then I got sucked in.

Bella Swan is a new girl to the town of Forks, Washington. At the town's tiny high school, she meets a guy and falls in love. But there's a minor problem: He's a vampire.

I've never been into vampire fiction. I've known people who are into it, and they're kinda...well, you know, weird. But, even though it concerns vampires, Twilight is a sweet love story about two teenagers who have no real hope of a future together, but fall deeply in love anyway.

So what challenges do Bella and Edward face? Let's see. He constantly fights the urge to kill her and suck all the blood out of her body. Hey, it's a vampire thing. But he also deeply loves her and does everything he can to protect her from anything that could hurt her -- including himself.

Another problem is that Edward does not age. But Bella, as a human, will. In 50 years, she'll look like an old lady who scored herself a young hot guy. It's one of the weird aspects of having a mortal/immortal relationship.

Edward does not eat, sleep or have a beating heart. But I'm telling you, I don't know when I've had such a crush on a fictional character. Stephenie Meyer's description of him makes me think having a vampire boyfriend wouldn't be so bad. (If I weren't already married. And if vampires even EXISTED.)

There are three books in the series with the fourth, "Breaking Dawn," due out on Aug.2. (Happy birthday to me!) I've just finished the second, "New Moon." Both are gripping and have unexpected twists and turns throughout. (Although "New Moon" will completely rip your heart out a couple of chapters in.)

And I'm not the only one with a crush on Edward. Some women at church my age and older are pretty much loopy over him.

If you feel silly reading about teenage vampire love, consider this conversation I had with one of our elders' wives at church tonight.

K: (Asking if I have heard of a book she had heard about somewhere, which I hadn't.)

Me: I'm too embarrassed to tell you what I'm reading right now.

K: (rolling her eyes) Oh, well, I'm reading Twilight.

Me: That's what I'm reading!

Ha ha!

On another note, ACU camps were GREAT last week. I was asked what we do with Jenna during that time. ACU camps provide excellent childcare, free of charge, for children of camp volunteers. She got to play with babysitters all day. Julia did this for years until she was old enough for the youngest camp. During Kadesh, which has a more hectic schedule than the middle-school camp we did last week, the babysitters will even bathe your kids and put them to bed for you. This is really the only summer youth group activity I can participate in 100%, and it's because ACU camps provide top-notch childcare so I don't have to worry about my kids. It's another reason we love ACU camps!

Labels: , , , , , , , , , ,

7 Comments:

  • At Thu Jul 17, 11:20:00 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    My daughter and I have read all of these books and we just love them! I pre-ordered the new book from Amazon and we are counting down the days until the movie. We think Edward is so dreamy!LOL!

     
  • At Thu Jul 17, 04:51:00 PM, Blogger KentF said…

    Deana - Susan and I are really sorry we missed you at camp. Our oldest - Megan - is asst. director for KQ and LtoL. I was there two weeks ago, and Susan is there this week. Gotta keep the 17er working at home happy too.

    Very biased opinion - but the camp leaders are simply the best college kids on the face of the Earth - every one of them. This year's group is especially great.

    As Megan as said many times over the past three years - if parents would give these camps a chance - the attendance would be off the charts. Thanks!

     
  • At Thu Jul 17, 04:53:00 PM, Blogger KentF said…

    Sorry for that horrendous use of the English language. Wow - that was embarrassing.

     
  • At Thu Jul 17, 07:48:00 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    After I read all three books, I visited StephanieMeyer.com and read some of the outtakes that didn't make it into the final edition. It provides a little more depth to some of the chapters and satisfied my obsessive addiction a bit until Aug. 2nd. I'm trying to re-read the series right now so I'm ready when Breaking Dawn comes out.

    And, don't be embarrassed! I'm a 31 year old mom of three whose family can't begin to understand how I could read New Moon and Eclipse in a matter of days! I would literally have to tear myself away from reading so I could keep my house in order. :)

     
  • At Fri Jul 18, 02:03:00 PM, Blogger Heather said…

    I haven't read them .. .have a lot of friends (and their kids) who have. Our school librarian read the first 2 in 3 days time -- and with houseguests at her house!

    I'm guessing you know there's a movie coming . . . saw a trailer on another friend's blog today.

     
  • At Fri Jul 18, 06:15:00 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    Great review Deana! I too am eagerly awaiting the fourth book. It will come out while we are on vacation and I am already figuring out where the nearest bookstore is going to be!

    Mary Lou Hutson, NC

     
  • At Tue Jul 22, 06:03:00 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    Can you send some of those ACU teens my way? We need a sitter, badly!!!

     

Post a Comment

<< Home