Deanaland

Tuesday, May 27, 2008

Aborted Apostrophe Rescue Mission

I really appreciated all the comments on my last post. It was nice to hear from other people experiencing the same thing. Too bad we don't all live in the same town, huh?

Jenna's out of school for the summer, which isn't easy for either of us. I miss being able to mop the floor uninterrupted, and she asks "Am I going to school today?" every morning. Julia goes until June 4 (thanks to snow and tornado days that pushed the date back) and then we leave for Houston the next day. We're looking forward to seeing our Baytown friends at a certain wedding on June 7.

From the apostrophe abuse department: Every Tuesday/Thursday at Jenna's school since January, I've been walking down the hall past a bulletin board that says "PARENT'S" on it. Nothing after it, just PARENT'S. Meaning, I guess, that the information on that board is for parents. Which means the apostrophe is completely unnecessary. (Unless the board itself actually belongs to a parent. In which case, why is it hanging there?) All semester, I tried to get up my nerve to reach up and rescue that poor piece of punctuation from its incorrect usage. I never did. As far as I know, it hangs there still. I just really like the director and I really, really appreciated her getting Jenna into the school there (because I had just had a negative experience at her previous school and didn't want to take her back there. For what it's worth, the incident had nothing to do with punctuation.) I hope to keep Jenna in this school for the next two school years, and I think the director NOT thinking I'm an obsessive psycho freak would work to my advantage.

Also related to abuses of the English language, we received some coupons (yay!) in our paper yesterday that have "Stock-up on savings!" printed across the top of the page. Why is "stock-up" hyphenated? I'll tell you why. It's because Americans are losing their grip on their native language. I wonder if this is happening in other countries. Are people in Japan forgetting how to read, write and speak Japanese? I know the world has other problems, but it's troubling nonetheless.

Labels: , , ,

9 Comments:

  • At Tue May 27, 12:50:00 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    Grammar is poorly taught in school's. :-D Had to put it.

    Love you and can't wait to see you guys in less than two weeks.

     
  • At Tue May 27, 01:18:00 PM, Blogger KentF said…

    Hyphens do seem to be all the rage these days. I'm going to laugh if my ACU daughter gets to edit one of your articles. It could happen.

     
  • At Tue May 27, 04:36:00 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    I had to take an English course as part of my court reporting classes. There were nearly forty-five rules governing the use of a comma.

    Talk about obsessive!! :-)

    (BTW, got your e-mail.)

     
  • At Tue May 27, 05:45:00 PM, Blogger Jacinda said…

    You crack me up!

    We were watching "Jon & Kate Plus Eight" and at the beginning they show a picture of Jon & Kate. The 'caption' says "Parents,"....except I think it says "Parent's" with an apostrophe! That's wrong isn't it?!?! It would go by so fast, and I'd forget to really look until it was gone. Now that I have TIVO again (yea!) maybe I can take a closer look.

     
  • At Tue May 27, 08:56:00 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    I confess - I have been known to circle misspelled words on bulletin boards at my daughter's school (with a red ink pen). IT'S A SCHOOL FOR PETE'S SAKE!!! I have also pulled off stray apostrophes. Is there a twelve step group for me.... or can someone just put me on their prayer list?

    I agree. We are seriously losing our grip on our native language.

    Adios Ingles...

    Laura

     
  • At Wed May 28, 07:53:00 AM, Blogger judy thomas said…

    "I couldn't agree more,"said the former English teacher.

     
  • At Wed May 28, 05:30:00 PM, Blogger Winston said…

    I-don't-know-what-the-problem-could-be-seem's-like-the-word's-just-don't-write-as-easy-as-they-used-to ...

     
  • At Wed May 28, 09:19:00 PM, Blogger Jacinda said…

    I sent Gracie's music teacher an email asking her about the date & time of a program.

    She wrote back with, "Sure, who's class is she in?"

    WHO'S class is she in???? Umm....shouldn't that be "WHOSE class is she in?" At least it was "just" the music teacher and not her Language Arts teacher, right?!?!?

     
  • At Tue Jun 03, 07:55:00 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    Don t be to hard on people who did not lesson in english class. We still want to write thank-you note and letters to our friends. We fear they are being the grammar cop and can t see the message
    because they are so wrapped up in what is correct. It is not always about appearance. This note is coming from a free sprit who played in school. I do love you blog. It is easy to read
    probably because of your wonderful grammar.

     

Post a Comment

<< Home