Deanaland

Sunday, April 20, 2008

Memphis


We had a great time in Memphis. It was so great to get to see old friends at the wedding and then at the reception. The reception was at the Peabody Hotel, which is famous for its ducks who live in a penthouse at night and splash in the lobby fountain during the day. The ducks are ceremoniously marched to the fountain at 11 a.m. and marched back to the elevator at 5 p.m. every day. And this is a BIG DEAL. We were in the mezzanine at 5 p.m. Saturday and well over a hundred people had gathered to watch the ducks make their exit.

After spending a few hours at the reception, we headed out of the hotel to walk the two blocks to Beale St. Beale is so much fun. It's like Bourbon St. in New Orleans, but not as icky. (Meaning no strip clubs or prostitutes. At least that I noticed.) Instead, the street is lined with jazz and blues clubs. We hung out at B.B. King's before heading back.

And YES, we were going to stop by Rendezvous -- it's down an alley right across from the Peabody. But after stuffing ourselves at the reception, we decided it wouldn't be in our best interest to add BBQ to the mix. Hey, there's always next time!

A confession: we did not seek out a church to attend Sunday morning. But I think we found something better. What better place to think about faith and sacrifice than the spot where MLK was assassinated more than 40 years ago? Chad and I stopped by the site of the Lorraine Hotel, now part of the National Civil Rights Museum, for a few moments this morning.

Labels: , ,

2 Comments:

  • At Sun Apr 20, 06:35:00 PM, Blogger Kelly said…

    Sounds like a fun trip...but no Graceland??? :) I loved visiting Memphis last year. We made all of the same stops and had a great time.

    PS: I just started that writing class you referred to recently. Should be interesting.

     
  • At Wed Apr 23, 10:29:00 AM, Blogger preacherman said…

    I want you to know that your in my thoughts and prayers. I hope all is going well for you. I love reading your blog and have added it to my favs. I hope you have a great earth day!
    In Him,
    Kinney Mabry

     

Post a Comment

<< Home