Deanaland

Saturday, April 12, 2008

Thugs at the airport and other Little Rock fun

Yesterday I learned two things about our fair city.

1) Gangster thugs at the Little Rock airport may not react too kindly if you politely ask them to watch their language in front of your kids.

2) The people who work at Subway in Wal-Mart on Baseline Rd. may not react too kindly if you politely ask them to put pepperoni on your child's sandwich. (Yes, I know the kids' menu says only turkey, ham, roast beef or tuna. But my 3-year-old doesn't like any of that stuff, which the employees at both Subways in our small community just outside Little Rock seem to understand just fine.)

The truth is that Little Rock is full of friendly people. I just happened to find the few that aren't.

On a happier note, I've found two new products I love.

I bought these Vlasic roasted sweet peppers for a recipe I made last week (a salmon/fettucine/spinach thing, which was really good) and had more than half a jar left over, so I tried them on one of my veggie sandwiches. YUM. I probably ate seven sandwiches this week, just to have an excuse to eat the peppers.


Attention, all pickle people! (You know who you are -- you're the ones who polish off a jar of Claussen whole dills the day your spouse brings them home from the store. And you take sips of pickle juice from the jar when no one is looking. I do it, too.) These Pringles are for you! I've been trying to find dill pickle Lays in Texas, then in Arkansas, for years after I saw them in Colorado on a ski trip. No luck, but Pringles finally came through for me.

Labels:

6 Comments:

  • At Sat Apr 12, 04:56:00 PM, Blogger Susan - said…

    A friend of mine works in the Perryville school district and told me that one of the big sellers at football concessions is a pickle sickle. Frozen pickle juice. Seriously. May you should try it. :)

     
  • At Sun Apr 13, 07:14:00 PM, Blogger Heather said…

    Tehehe . . .sounds like the Subway workers near you need a little Chick-Fil-A training (do your CFA people say "My pleasure" whenever you ask for something/thank them/etc?)! Our girls order either ham or turkey and ask for Salami to be added on -- we haven't had any trouble doing that. Hmmmm . . . .

     
  • At Mon Apr 14, 09:01:00 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    I've made pickle sicles & my kids love em - personally don't care for them. Deana - I'm a frequent lurker on your blog (and occasional anonymous commentor). I love it! I'm Lesa's sister in law & just started my own blog because I enjoy yours so much. Thanks for the fun read & helpful hints on great new things to buy!

    Laura

     
  • At Mon Apr 14, 09:37:00 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    I'm a huge fan of your blog--You're really entertaining and I share your passion for Target. As a social worker :) I have to thank God you have taught your children the right and wrong things to say...but remember those "thugs" probably don't have a momma like you. Or a daddy...

     
  • At Mon Apr 14, 11:49:00 AM, Blogger Deana Nall said…

    Laura -- nice to meet you! I miss Lesa and her family so much.

    Kim -- the thing is that these guys were not kids. The one I spoke to looked closer to my age (36!) and the others were not far off.

     
  • At Fri Apr 18, 05:34:00 AM, Blogger Winston said…

    I am sorry you had thugs to deal with at the airport. Probably you were there to take Mom to her plane or to pick up Chad.

    On the other hand, large airports are not known for their Godly ministries so hanging out at a place like that with two little ones may beg the question. Sort of like bumping into an offensive drunk at a saloon. You will always find Romans if you go to Rome.

    Then again, if I had been at the airport with you and the grandkids and heard that thug, I would have punched him in the nose.

    You've got to promise to visit me in the hospital if I ever punch a thug in the nose.

    Else promise to sit on the front row at my funeral.

    Your Protective Dad --

     

Post a Comment

<< Home