Deanaland

Friday, March 28, 2008

Apply directly to the forehead

Out of a combination of curiosity and desperation, I tried "Head On" yesterday. We were on our way out of town to camp at Hot Springs National Park (the first overnight camping trip for the girls -- and I mean REAL camping -- in tents), and I had a headache brewing. The kind that could have become a migraine if it really, really wanted to. So at the Wal-Mart in the bustling city of Malvern, Arkansas, I picked up some Excedrin and a box of Head On. Well, it's actually a tube. Picture a glue stick that smells like Vicks VapoRub.

I don't know if it worked or not. I took Excedrin, and that's probably why the headache went away. But I found the Head On to be oddly soothing. I think I could get addicted to it. It made my head feel kind of cool and tingly -- I guess because of the menthol listed as an inactive ingredient on the label. It was sort of like a homeopathic high. I kept finding myself reaching for the Head On long after the headache was gone. I guess it's kind of like Burt's Bees Lip Balm for your head.

So now I carry it around with me with all my other addictions: lotion, mints, Purell, and the aforementioned Burt's Bees Lip Balm. Hey, I don't drink, smoke or gamble. I have to have something.

Labels: , , ,

8 Comments:

  • At Fri Mar 28, 07:34:00 PM, Blogger Aggiema (Michelle) said…

    Hey everybody's got something, for me it is coca-cola! At least yours won't make you fat! BTW... What is up with that models white eye shadow? Maybe her arm slipped and she put the medicine on her eyelid instead?

     
  • At Sat Mar 29, 05:59:00 AM, Blogger Ready Maid said…

    You know, I'm glad you didn't say Hot Springs gave you a headache...HA! Actually, my husband and I visited here only one day before deciding to move here.

    Named as the No. 1 place in America to retire by geographer Warren Bland , Hot Springs' was confirmed as a top retirement destination on a recent Today Show segment by realtor Barbara Corcoran.

    I gotta admit, Hot Springs is a pretty cool place to live, even for those of us who aren't yet retired.

    To get a sneak preview, check out Spa Vlogger.

    Rebecca McCormick,
    Travel Journalist and Photographer, Hot Springs Village Voice

     
  • At Sat Mar 29, 07:05:00 AM, Blogger Jacinda said…

    I LOVE the Burt's Bees lip balm! I think Chris has used that head stuff-or something similar to it for his neck. I always kinda wonder if it really works.

    So, are you blogging while on your "real" camping trip?!?!

     
  • At Sat Mar 29, 10:50:00 AM, Blogger Winston said…

    Head On ... I've seen the ads ... Use extreme caution ... looks like one of those brain purifiers. You know, the tube with a small laser beam that gradually fries the brain ... their advertisements read, " ... dulls the pain and eventually the brain ... " Be careful.

    Also the label has a warning, "Do not use to clear wax from the ears. May cause harmful humming."

     
  • At Sat Mar 29, 08:02:00 PM, Blogger HW said…

    As a sufferer of migraines, I've tried that too, but I didn't feel any think like a buzz. Perhaps I didn't put enough on. I think I'll dig that out of the medicine cabinet tonight, just for fun.
    But those commercials? SO. ANNOYING.

     
  • At Sun Mar 30, 06:00:00 AM, Blogger Susan - said…

    The school nurse likes that stuff. My kids hate it. I have not tried it, but I think I will soon. Headache or not. :)

     
  • At Sun Mar 30, 04:49:00 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    Before I moved to Boston, I was living with my friend and she bought some. I tried it. Very weird and tingling feeling. I don't know that it helped my headache, but it certainly didn't get worse.

    Most. Annoying. Commercial. Ever.

     
  • At Tue Apr 01, 10:34:00 AM, Blogger Paul Fagala said…

    I like Head On. I think it actually works. I've used it quite a bit apart from medicine and the headache that is coming on never makes it. I suppose a combination of Head On and medicine is twice as effective!

     

Post a Comment

<< Home