Deanaland

Wednesday, February 27, 2008

Revolve!

We had a whirlwind trip to Houston this past weekend with a group of junior high/high school girls and four other adults from our church. We went to Revolve, which is the Women of Faith conference for teen girls. We had GREAT seats -- fourth and fifth rows from the stage on the floor -- so we got to see Hawk Nelson, KJ-52, Natalie Grant, Max & Jenna Lucado and others SUPER UP CLOSE. I had only vaguely heard of Hawk Nelson before. Turns out they are a high-energy band that is extremely popular with teenage girls. (And I really mean high-energy -- the lead singer acts like he gives himself regular caffeine injections.) KJ-52 was completely new to me. He's a skinny little white rapper dude who completely ROCKED THE HOUSE. Then there were all the other singers and speakers who all had powerful messages. It was an amazing event and the girls are already asking about going back next year.

Chad, Julia and Jenna also made the trip and hung out with my parents. The girls even got new Build-a-Bears. (In our house, Build-a-Bear is reserved for very special occasions, such as graduating from diapers into panties. At my parents' house, all you apparently have to do to get a Build-a-Bear is just show up.)

For some reason, I always forget how horrendous Houston's traffic is until I make a return visit. I did get a kick out of hearing my friend Julie, who grew up in England, comment on Houston's traffic in her lovely British accent. ("It's OH-ful! Just OH-ful!")

Two books I'm reading right now:

I mentioned A.J. Jacobs, the author of "The Year of Living Biblically: One Man's Humble Quest to Follow the Bible as Literally as Possible" back in September at the very end of this post. Now I've got the book he wrote about his experience. Jew by birth and agnostic by personal philosophy, Jacobs spent a year attempting to follow every single law in the Bible. I'm only a couple of chapters into it, but I have to say I really admire the guy for taking this on. So far, he has had his wardrobe checked for mixed fibers (outlawed in Deuteronomy 22:11) and refused to discuss the U.S. Open with his wife for fear she may mention Venus Williams (Exodus 23:13 forbids even mentioning the names of other gods.) The book is funny, but it's also interesting to see how an outsider interprets and attempts to live by the Bible. This is the kind of book I could finish in a day, but I've had to hold it at bay since I've got a heavy workload this week.

Last week at the library, I scored Eric Clapton's auto-bio. He's had an interesting life (beyond the music, he survived a monstrous drug addiction, as well as the tragic death of his young son) and I look forward to reading it.

Labels: , , ,

3 Comments:

  • At Wed Feb 27, 04:16:00 PM, Blogger Kelly said…

    I recently heard a story on NPR that said books like Jacobs' are the newest trend in publishing. Since you are the master writer, I say you go for it and jump on the bandwagon. "A Year in the Life of Hannah Montana concerts?" :)

    PS: Thanks for your comment about Kari.

     
  • At Thu Feb 28, 07:01:00 AM, Blogger Sarah P said…

    It's so funny to hear that Jenna Lucado is a sought-after speaker now! I have no doubt in her talent, whatsoever, it's just that she pledged the same club I did at ACU and had to call me Siggie Sarah for 3 months. She was just one of the girls (who happened to have a famous father). I'm so glad she's making the circuit with her dad. She is absolutely 100 percent as sweet and friendly in her normal life as she is on stage. What a gal.
    And, you are brave to take the girls on a girls' conference. I've told Brock that I will never lead another girls' conference. I was 6 weeks pregnant on our last one and ridiculously emotional but unable to show any of it or tell anyone that I was pregnant. And it was, of course, the trip on which the most drama happened and youth group moms randomly decided that I hated their children because I -gasp- caught their children lying to me. It's amazing to me still how anyone could think we don't love their children. I spent half of the conference on the phone listening to moms gripe me out for even thinking that their girls could have possibly broken the rules and the other half crying to Brock because I was exhausted and pregnant and wishing he was there to take over. Girls' conferences terrify me now. I'm hoping that moms will lead the next one. I'm pleading the "I've got a newborn" case and bowing out.

     
  • At Fri Feb 29, 06:36:00 AM, Blogger SG said…

    That sounds like a great thing for girls! I'm just a parent, but i would love to take a group from our church to something like that! Thanks for the info!

     

Post a Comment

<< Home