Deanaland

Wednesday, January 23, 2008

Dear Mr. President

The other day, Julia and I were talking about some of the challenges her grandmother faces as an American with a mental illness. Julia was outraged to learn that her Meemaw can't get insurance because of her condition and said, "We need to write the President about that." She came home yesterday with this letter, which we are mailing today:

Dear Mr. President,

My grandma has a mental illness and no insurance company will cover her. I think it is unfair that people won't help her because they don't want to lose money. To me, it sounds like when black people were not given the same rights as white people all over again. Before your term is over in the White House, maybe you could make a law declaring that people with disabilities like my grandma can have insurance.

Sincerely,

Julia Nall
age 9

Labels: ,

7 Comments:

  • At Wed Jan 23, 07:37:00 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    Good for you, Julia! I pray he listens to you and does something about it. Jane in GA.

     
  • At Wed Jan 23, 09:20:00 AM, Blogger mom23 said…

    Perfect. What a great letter!

    Can she add a PS to it about kids too?

     
  • At Wed Jan 23, 06:58:00 PM, Blogger Jacinda said…

    I know you're proud to be raising a daughter who stands up for what she believes in!

     
  • At Wed Jan 23, 08:53:00 PM, Blogger Kelly said…

    What great insight! I really do hope you mail it, and I can't wait to hear the response.

    I'm not an expert in it, but it does seem to me that mental illness is not taken near as seriously as it should be by our government or the church.

     
  • At Thu Jan 24, 06:47:00 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    Sounds like you have the makings of a future political activist there!

     
  • At Thu Jan 24, 06:29:00 PM, Blogger Lynn said…

    And the world thinks we are in trouble. Not with Julia speaking up for us. GO JULIA. I know you are proud. Great letter.

     
  • At Sat Jan 26, 03:46:00 PM, Blogger Mary Lou said…

    What an insightful letter from one so young. Very good writing, Julia.

     

Post a Comment

<< Home