Deanaland

Sunday, May 04, 2008

Letter from the Prez


Back in January, Julia wrote this letter to President Bush after she was mortified to learn that her grandmother cannot get health insurance because of a mental illness.

Well, Chad went out to get the mail yesterday and came back in with a big brown envelope that had "THE WHITE HOUSE" as the return address! It was a form letter that basically said how he appreciates her thoughtful suggestions, and how she can grow up to build a better America with her compassion, character and education. "Mrs. Bush and I send our best wishes. May God bless you, and may God bless America." It's on official White House letterhead with the Presidential seal and his signature, and a picture was also included. How cool is that!

Also this weekend, this was the first year that Julia got very interested in the Kentucky Derby and she really looked forward to Saturday's race. This was also the year that a horse had to be euthanized right after the race. Yuck. Julia and I have both been sad about the Eight Belles tragedy.

On a happier note, it's time for some Sunday night silliness at the Nall house:









Labels: , , ,

4 Comments:

  • At Mon May 05, 10:24:00 AM, Blogger elizabeth said…

    Matthew recently wrote a letter to the president that I had to chunk on the way to the mailbox.

    Apparently, he was listening in on one of Bryon's phone calls about one of his cases.

    Matthew asked President Bush if he could send an army to Central Texas and destroy all of the meth labs. I am convinced he doesn't know what this means, but since I didn't want to be investigated by CPS, I thought discreetly destroying the letter was most appropriate. Don't you think? ;)

     
  • At Tue May 06, 07:03:00 AM, Blogger Jacinda said…

    First of all, I'm laughing at Elizabeth's comment!

    That's so great that she got a letter back-even though is was a form letter. I LOVE that it references God blessing her & America. I wonder if our new president will say similar things in his/her form letters??? *sigh*

     
  • At Tue May 06, 07:27:00 AM, Blogger HW said…

    I'm so excited for Julia. I have a letter from Ronal Reagan. We shared a birthday and I sent him a card when I was in jr. high letting him know of our mutual birthday. A couple of months later, I received a letter from him.
    My kids have each taken the letter to school - with much supervision and careful packaging - to show their teachers.
    You will blink your eyes and Julia will be sharing that letter with her children's classes.

     
  • At Tue May 06, 07:36:00 AM, Blogger Deana Nall said…

    I'm laughing at Elizabeth's comment, too. Julia has all kinds of great ideas for how to improve the country. She said if she were president, she would put all the tobacco companies out of business. Then I explained to her how devastating that would be for all the tobacco farming families in North Carolina, etc.

    Jacinda -- I've actually been pretty impressed by what Obama has said about his faith (Christianity Today article several months ago.) I haven't really read up on the other two.

    HW -- At one point, I also had a letter from Reagan. I sent him a homemade get-well card when he got shot. He sent a thank you note back. We moved a lot when I was growing up and it apparently got lost in a move because I haven't seen it in years. We will take special care of this one and make sure we hang on to it!

     

Post a Comment

<< Home