Deanaland

Friday, August 22, 2008

And now for something completely different.

Thank you for all you comments and prayers about Kathleen and her family. This has been a rough week, but I’m determined to take a break from blogging about sad things. Besides, Kathleen always told me I was funny, and I think a nice way to honor her memory would be to not stop being funny. Or at least blogging about things I think are funny.

So. Last night we were flipping channels and came across an old episode of “The Incredible Hulk.” Back in my day, and Chad’s too, there was no cooler place to be on a Friday night than in front of your TV watching “The Incredible Hulk.” I wanted to watch it for a while to show Julia how wicked cool that show was. Of course now it looks all lame and outdated, but still.

In this particular episode, David Banner is knocked out and thrown on top of a car that is just about to go into a car wash. I know, it happens all the time. So he turns into the Hulk in the middle of hoses spraying everywhere. The car comes out the end of the car wash with the Hulk having ripped the engine out, which he is holding high over his head. Such a great Hulk moment. (Julia, however, was inexplicably BORED.)

The Hulk wreaks havoc at the car wash for a while before taking off running across the parking lot. Two characters of African descent, complete with huge ’70s fros, watch him run away. One of them says, “Now that’s what I call a colored man.”

They just don’t make TV shows as politically incorrect as they used to.

Some Hulk trivia: Did you know Bill Bixby went on to direct the TV sitcom “Blossom” before he died in 1993? It’s true.

News from Jenna’s world: Her name for Lowe’s is “The Blue Home Depot.” That’s basically what it is, right?


Every once in a while, for a story I’m working on, I get to do something really cool. Last Thursday was one of those days. I’m writing for a new magazine called Arkansas Life. It’s so new that the very first issue is coming out any day now. For the October issue, I wrote a feature about the historic Majestic Hotel in Hot Springs. It was open for 124 years before it closed in 2006. I didn’t want to write the story without getting a look at the inside of the building, so the hotel’s current owners arranged for me, along with an officer from the Garland County Historical Society, to have our own tour. So, with a security guard who also used to work at the hotel and knows tons about the building, we got to walk all around this gorgeous old hotel. The oldest part of the building was built in 1902 (the original building, built in the 1870s, was razed to make room for this one) and the wooden staircases, the hand-carved ceilings and chandeliers that have survived from that time are unbelievable. It was like going back in time. (The 1902 part of the building is on the far right in the photo. The rest of the building was added later.)

The upstairs hallways were a bit creepy, though. The guy from the historical society mentioned something about “The Shining” once we got up there, and I wished he hadn’t. My imagination is active enough without anyone’s help. And the security guard, a really cool guy named Jackie, chose to tell us the building’s ghost stories while we were up there – including one encounter he experienced himself. The other guy and I were just a tad spooked out, to say the least.

But ghosts or not, it’s a beautiful old building and I felt so honored to get to have my own private tour. My article is about the hotel’s history and what’s going to happen to it now that it’s been sold. (I left out the ghost stories. I don’t want the current owners – or their lawyers – getting mad at me.) Anyway, this issue of Arkansas Life will be on newsstands (well, in Arkansas anyway) in October!

I also want to let you guys know about my friend Kama, who started blogging recently. Go check out her blog!

Labels: , ,

4 Comments:

  • At Fri Aug 22, 01:50:00 PM, Blogger Beaner said…

    My husband & I were so excited to order "old" TV shows on NetFlix, so we could show our kids all the cool stuff we used to watch, but they were SO LAME!!! My kids were bored & we seriously wondered how we survived the 70's & 80's!!! At least my kids like the 'Thriller' Album! (I mean CD!!!)

     
  • At Fri Aug 22, 08:14:00 PM, Blogger Unknown said…

    Thanks for the support, Deana! Kristin came over the other day and showed me how to link other blogs to mine...I meant to get to that today... maybe tomorrow...

     
  • At Tue Aug 26, 01:17:00 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    We like you

     
  • At Tue Aug 26, 05:58:00 AM, Blogger Susan - said…

    I did not realize that hotel had closed. I will be looking for the new magazine and your article.

    My husband and I had lunch at PeiWei yesterday and I thought of you. (I think you mentioned it once.) Anyway - yum!

     

Post a Comment

<< Home