Deanaland

Thursday, March 23, 2006

Over the river and down the street...


One of the things I love about living in southeast Texas is that occasionally, you have to take a ferry to get somewhere. That's what I did tonight. I met my friend Lesa at Monument Inn near the San Jacinto Monument and the quickest way to get there from my house is to take the Lynchburg Ferry across the San Jacinto River. Lesa and I ate some yummy stuff (shrimp creole for me) and had a nice time. We are two mommies who hardly ever get to go out at night with other moms, so that made it extra special. I'm thinking it's something we ought to do more often! In fact, we had SUCH a good time that I missed the last ferry and had to drive the long way around to get home. So I listened to loud rock music all the way home (U2's Unforgettable Fire), which I also don't get to do very often since I usually have young children with me who have young, tender eardrums. So it was a most enjoyable evening all the way around.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Right now I'm reading "The Shopping Bags: Tips, Tricks, and Inside Information to Make You a Savvy Shopper." This book caught my eye because I'm all about finding a bargain. One of the most important things my mom taught me was not to pay full price for anything. I don't even pay sale prices if I think they're not cheap enough. Just last week, I walked away from a $9.99 shirt at Target because I just know it's going to come down more. (In fact, I'll be there first thing tomorrow morning to check.) So this book is right up my alley. I'm not too far into it yet, but here's one interesting bit of information I found:

"Between them, Loreal and Estee Lauder own a large portion of all makeup lines on the market. So remember that your expensive Lancome lipstick may have been made at the same factory as the more affordable Maybelline."

I've never been into buying expensive makeup anyway, and now I have another reason to justify that besides just being cheap. I'm now also a smart shopper.

7 Comments:

  • At Thu Mar 23, 08:42:00 PM, Blogger Sarah said…

    I'm almost annoyingly thrifty myself... but, if I find a piece of clothing that fits, sometimes I just have to grit my teeth and pay the price... I'm 4'11" and of dwarf-ish stature, so it is hard to find clothes that fit! The ones on clearance are never my size. :(

    But I still consider myself a "smart shopper". Smart for paying the price - to look good. :)

     
  • At Fri Mar 24, 06:14:00 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    I'm on a big U2 kick. My girls are sick of listening to Bono. Yesterday when we got into the car Aubrey yelled,"I don't like this song!" when she heard U2 singing Pride. Poor two year old!

    Emma loves the Beatles. She sings, "We've got a chicken to riiide...". We think it's so cute we don't correct her.

    Just couldn't handle Laurie or The Wiggles anymore!
    cp

     
  • At Fri Mar 24, 11:18:00 AM, Blogger Beverly said…

    Oh my goodness, I love U2..I love that song Stuck in the Moment.

    Man, sometimes I grow weary of west texas and wish there was some ferry ridin around here..

     
  • At Sun Mar 26, 11:33:00 AM, Blogger mom23 said…

    I love a bargain finder! I mean, anyone can look good when they spend $50 on a shirt. Its a greater challenege to do it on $10!

    And Lancome and LOreal are the same company - the products are almost identical. OK, not bases, but everything else.

     
  • At Wed Mar 29, 01:27:00 PM, Blogger KentF said…

    I guess it's redundant to say U2 Rocks! I love the smart, savvy shopping books that encourage you to "throw all your small slivers of soap in a sock and use the sock like a big louffe". That alone will save you $3.19 yearly even though you'll smell like a foot. How about - don't order the $2.49 ice tea or $7 fried cheese sticks appetizers when you eat out. And, split that entree while I'm on the subject - it's got 2,200 calories and the portions are made for a family, not an adult. Maybe I should write a book.

     
  • At Thu Mar 30, 02:30:00 PM, Blogger sarahdawn said…

    the ferry makes me queasy.

     
  • At Thu Mar 30, 02:31:00 PM, Blogger sarahdawn said…

    the ferry makes me queasy.

     

Post a Comment

<< Home