Deanaland

Monday, March 06, 2006

My child and her mouth

My sweet little first-grader embarrassed the holy soup out of me today.

To make a long story short, here's what happened. The Accelerated Reader program at her school has changed its point system for K-2 grades. In the past, the longer the book was, the more AR points were given for it. Now, the students get one point per book no matter how long it is. As a result, students like Julia, who has been reading longer books like the Narnia and Little House series, are wanting to go back to reading the short, easy reader books so they can get points more quickly. I don't see how the change motivates anyone -- advanced or slower readers. Last night I wanted to start reading "Anne of Green Gables" to Julia and she said no, because in the time it would take her to read it, she could be reading the shorter, easy books and get more points.

This has been frustrating me and I guess I communicated that to Julia because today she told the teacher to expect a phone call from a VERY ANGRY MOMMY. I know this because her teacher emailed me trying to calm me down because she believes I am a VERY ANGRY MOMMY. I am so embarrassed. I'm not one of those psychotic parents I grew up hearing about from my mom, who taught first grade. I was so turned off of parents like that from hearing my mom's stories that I'm inclined to not say anything to a teacher, even if something is bugging me. And now I'm known as a VERY ANGRY MOMMY.

So how is your Monday?

11 Comments:

  • At Mon Mar 06, 12:06:00 PM, Blogger Sarah said…

    I've been a teacher myself -- by March teachers are pretty well aware of who is a VERY ANGRY MOMMY. I doubt that's your permanent label.

    I think the AR points system change stinks, as well. I thought the points were built into the computer program? I don't know why anyone thought that would be an improvement? Did the teacher explain? I hope that isn't heading our way. . .

     
  • At Mon Mar 06, 12:25:00 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    Since my 4th grader is reading the 870 page Harry Potter book (42 AR points!), she would be devastated at this rule.

    I have said about some school rule "That's so stupid!" then immediately said "do not repeat that!" to my children.

    I think the AR rule is stupid, though - I guess the point is to encourage them to read below their level?!
    Carrie

     
  • At Mon Mar 06, 04:25:00 PM, Blogger Jacinda said…

    That's so funny! As a teacher, I disliked dealing with "those" parents. Now I sometimes fear I AM one of "those" parents. I too agree that Little House books should be given more points.

     
  • At Mon Mar 06, 04:48:00 PM, Blogger Nellie said…

    Forget being embarrassed. Tell the teacher why Julia said what she did. Sounds like the system needs to be adjusted for students like Julia. Of course, I know from experience that AR points can be a pain in the (oops!) for everyone involved in the program. The idea behind the program is great, but working out points, etc. for all grade levels and academic levels can be a real headache. Tell Julia to keep reading those longer books. She's making lots of points of another kind! :)

     
  • At Tue Mar 07, 01:27:00 PM, Blogger judy thomas said…

    Julia is no dummy....A plague on AR! Judy Thomas

     
  • At Tue Mar 07, 01:30:00 PM, Blogger judy thomas said…

    Julia is no dummy....A plague on AR!!!! My vote is for Anne of Green Gables.

     
  • At Tue Mar 07, 03:27:00 PM, Blogger SG said…

    So you are one of THOSE parents!

    Most first grade teachers know that not eveything their students say about their parents are exactly right! BUT chances are the teacher would understand you frustrations anyway.

     
  • At Tue Mar 07, 06:17:00 PM, Blogger elizabeth said…

    We had an embarassing Mommy/AR story around here, too.

    Matthew was bringing home easy books for the same reason. I told him to try to get some more challenging books so that we could read them together.

    He picked out a challenging book, didn't read it, but took the test anyway.

    Then he started crying to the librarian that I was "forcing" him to read books that were too hard and that he wanted to go back to the easier ones!

    I had to talk to the librarian and tell her that he didn't even read the book to begin with!

    What a toot!

     
  • At Wed Mar 08, 10:14:00 AM, Blogger SG said…

    Was there something offensive in that last comment?

     
  • At Wed Mar 08, 11:20:00 AM, Blogger Deana Nall said…

    No, SG, nothing offensive! I had accidentally activated "moderate comments." It's fixed now.

     
  • At Thu Mar 09, 09:00:00 PM, Blogger Mary Lou said…

    I work at Julia's school and I haven't heard of any point change for AR. But the "Everybody" books, which are the easier and shorter books, are only worth half of a point. Children have to read twice as many books to get that one point. I would think that perhaps the change just might only be for 1st grade students to help them make points. Some of them need that extra help to make points. The level of books that Julia is reading should still be worth more points. I teach 3rd grade and I've heard nothing about their points being changed. If she is reading as high a level books as "Anne of Green Gables", she is still getting more than just one point for that book. Surely!

     

Post a Comment

<< Home