Deanaland

Friday, February 24, 2006

Brave New World


Today I picked Julia up from school and she, Jenna and I headed 30 miles away to the nearest Barnes & Noble. Just for fun. I usually would never dream of attempting such a thing in Houston-area traffic late on a Friday afternoon. But I was determined to not stress and we had quite a pleasant time. Jenna had a ball in the kids' section by grabbing a stuffed Curious George off the shelf, carrying him around for a while, sneezing on his head and then putting him back on the shelf. (I'm sorry, but I wasn't going to buy it just because she sneezed on it. If you avoid the stuffed Curious Georges at the Pasadena, TX, Barnes & Noble for a while, you should be safe.) Julia picked out a birthday present for her friend and a couple of Nancy Drew books. I was looking for a copy of a new magazine called "Empowering Women," in which I have a byline, but they didn't have it. If any of you are so blessed to live in a town that has a B&N or a Books-A-Million, do you mind checking on "Empowering Women" next time you're there? I would just like to know if they are showing up anywhere because I've checked two Houston-area B&Ns with no luck. It should be with the business mags.

Then we hit McDonald's, where Jenna downed most of my fries and Julia ate, well, pretty much nothing. Then we drove home. I'm still shocked out how peaceful the whole outing was. Church isn't even that easy, and it's within our city limits.

6 Comments:

  • At Sat Feb 25, 08:19:00 AM, Blogger Kelley said…

    There is nothing as enjoyable, even a trip to Target, as a visit to a bookstore. I love the way they smell, the way they look and the way people tend to talk in hushed voices because they are surrounded by books. My kids love to visit the bookstore. We love to get a big pile of magazine and head to the coffee shop. But now, even though we live all the way over here in Alabama, I think we will avoid the stuff animals in the kid section.....just in case.

     
  • At Sat Feb 25, 10:56:00 AM, Blogger David Michael said…

    The only thing I like about having the Katy Mills Mall so close is that they have a Books a Million. When the mall was built where it was, because of all the growth surrounding, it took away the atmosphere of small town Katy. There is a defunct K-Mart not too far, I am hoping that Barnes and Noble will move in. That would almost make it worth staying in such a growing area.

    I loved those times when our kids were so well behaved!

     
  • At Sat Feb 25, 08:28:00 PM, Blogger Deana Nall said…

    Angela -- we're all about the zoo and museums and symphony and the whole Houston thing -- just not on Fridays at 5 p.m.!

     
  • At Sun Feb 26, 08:27:00 PM, Blogger Kyle said…

    Amanda and I consider that part of Pasadena close. We head out of Baytown quite a lot. We will sometimes travel all the way over there just to eat a burrito at Chipotle. We usually have to buy something at Old Navy or B and N or Bed, Bath, and Beyond while we're at it. But, we really just go for the burrito. Or at least I do.

     
  • At Tue Feb 28, 06:46:00 AM, Blogger MDH said…

    If you're going to drive that far for a burrito, you should at least get a good one. =) Keep on going down 146 to Bay Area and head to Freebirds. Much better in my humble opinion.

    I recently discovered Panera at Fairmont@Beltway (I know there are other locations). Baked potato soup in a sourdough bread bowl mmmmmm.....

     
  • At Tue Feb 28, 07:30:00 PM, Blogger Heather said…

    LMK if you've found an Empowering Woman. I've got 4 B&N within 15 minutes of here . . . and I can send Andy to an additional 2 if need be (he's always willing to run my errands!).

     

Post a Comment

<< Home