Deanaland

Monday, February 13, 2006

Fill My Cup

This weekend I went on our church's Ladies Retreat with 30 or so women. We stayed at the Victorian Condo Hotel in Galveston. I roomed with Lesa, Paige and Janette. Our church has been having these for three years but due to pregnancy-related illness (2004) and breastfeeding (2005), this was the first year I got to go. We had a great guest speaker, Sandra Harbour, from Southeast CoC in Houston.

Here are some highlights from the weekend:

- Nearly freezing to death in Galveston. (When it's cold and windy there, it's REALLY cold and windy.)
- Going with Paige and Lesa to IHOP at 10:30 Friday night.
- Me asking our waiter "Are you from Texas?" and him replying -- "No, I'm from Russia" in a heavy Russian accent.
- Me having the honor of corrupting a group of women by introducing them to Bunco.
- A marathon game of Trival Pursuit -- Music Edition, with Wendy Schwartz and me against Emily Griffin and Paige. The game went on and on and at one point, Wendy called it a "downward spiral of death."
- Listening to Emily play her guitar and sing. She's a gifted musician and plays at several different venues around here. I got to write a feature about her for our newspaper a couple of years ago. She's a fascinating person and I'm glad I got to spend some time with her.
- Driving a van load of women to Galveston and back. It wasn't a whole lot different than driving the teens around ("Can we stop at Sonic?"), except they didn't leave a mess in the van.
- Spending time with women who I think so highly of but don't get to see much of because of our families, jobs, etc.

Now I just want to go back there with Chad. When it's a tad bit warmer. Making out on the beach isn't all it's cracked up to be when you're having to fight off hypothermia.

9 Comments:

  • At Mon Feb 13, 01:33:00 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    Okay, I'm not gonna touch the Chad/Beach issue. But I wish I coulda gone to that retreat. Our church's retreat was this weekend as well, and since I went to GRG, I figured I should do something with my new church. I guess they're my "home church" now, even though it's not the same. I love you guys!!!

    ><>IN HIM<><
    Michelle

     
  • At Mon Feb 13, 02:29:00 PM, Blogger sarahdawn said…

    I missed coming down for it this year! With the house building and Mom in NB taking care of Nana it was just not in the schedule. I'm glad it was fun and uplifting! I knwo I enjoyed the last two!

     
  • At Mon Feb 13, 02:30:00 PM, Blogger Brian said…

    making out on the beach?!

    Ok, I know you have kids, but c'mon!!!

    there are some things I don't wanna know about my sister!!!

    ARGHH!!!!!

    TMI, TMI, TMI, TMI, TMI, TMI!!!!

    This may undo years of therapy....

    :):):):):):):

     
  • At Mon Feb 13, 04:17:00 PM, Blogger Kelley said…

    What was the theme for your retreat? Glad you had fun!

     
  • At Mon Feb 13, 07:23:00 PM, Blogger Mary Lou said…

    Actually MoSt ladies has had other retreats in the past. In fact we were at the Victorian Condos years ago when it was in better condition. Did your door rattle like ours did when the wind blew?? One year we had a wonderful retreat at the Hilton on Nasa Rd. One, nice digs. I also enjoyed the retreat even though I didn't stay both nights. Just too much cold, wind and...did I say wind??

     
  • At Tue Feb 14, 07:50:00 AM, Blogger Nellie said…

    I thought about all of you over the weekend and fought off my feelings of envy. I've been blessed to be there for I think just about all of our Ladies Retreats in the past, and it was hard to miss one.

    I know it was a great time together with lots of laughs as well as spiritual renewal. Glad you were able to go this year. I hope we can both go next year and enjoy some special time together. I miss all of you immensely!

     
  • At Tue Feb 14, 07:20:00 PM, Blogger mom23 said…

    How fun! I really miss a good retreat. Its one of the things I miss the most about youth ministry.

     
  • At Wed Feb 15, 10:12:00 AM, Blogger Sarah Megan said…

    I KNOW THAT RUSSIAN WAITER. We ask for him like everytime we go there, which is at least once a week. He is an amazing waiter. I would say I wish I would have run into you down here, but I was at home so that would pretty much have been impossible.

    Anyways, talk to you later~

     
  • At Sun Feb 19, 01:12:00 PM, Blogger Susan - said…

    Hey! I was in Galveston Monday too, and it was COLD. Husband and I started a cruise from there Monday, got back Saturday morning and it was even colder.

     

Post a Comment

<< Home