Deanaland

Thursday, March 30, 2006

The Myspace of someone who has died


Alicia Bonura was a senior at West Brook High School in Beaumont. She died yesterday in a bus crash as her high school soccer team was traveling from Beaumont to Houston for a game. Ashley Brown also died. I didn't know either of them, but I feel connected to them in some way. I was also a teenager in Beaumont once upon a time. I didn't go to West Brook, but my brother did as well as my high school sweetheart. I've been to many West Brook football games, dances (ssh!) and said high school sweetheart and I even got caught kissing behind West Brook late one Saturday night. Of course I had my problems, but being a teenage girl in Beaumont was fun. I hope it was for Alicia and Ashley, too.

I was looking at Alicia's Myspace earlier today. I scrolled down to the bottom of her comments, and they were typical Myspace comments ("Hey, girl, whatcha doin'?" type stuff) until 3:07 yesterday afternoon. Then there's an eerie "Alicia, are you OK?" Then a flood of her friends pouring out their grief as they learned the news. I'm sad for her parents, who lost such a bright, vibrant Christian girl. I'm sad that on her Myspace profile, she says she's going to major in civil engineering when she enrolls at A&M next year. I'm sad that under "Children," she wrote "Someday." But on "People I'd Like to Meet," she wrote "I want to meet God soon."

No A&M, no children, but she did meet God yesterday afternoon. And in a weird, sad, sort of way, that makes me happy.

6 Comments:

  • At Fri Mar 31, 05:08:00 AM, Blogger Beverly said…

    ..sad and tough...
    Last year, when Sam was in 7th grade, he lost two friends, one in 6th grade and the other in 7th , to car crashes. This was inside of 6 months. It was a tough year..I looked at his MySpace and he has the song, by Third Day, Cry Out to Jesus..I am glad he hung in there..

     
  • At Fri Mar 31, 10:23:00 AM, Blogger elizabeth said…

    I heard about the crash and wondered if you knew her.

    Now that I am a mother, I think about all the time, energy, and love that is put in to raising a child. Losing them so young is such a tragedy.

     
  • At Fri Mar 31, 12:14:00 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    Where do you find Alicia's Myspace

     
  • At Fri Mar 31, 12:46:00 PM, Blogger Deana Nall said…

    Anonymous -- go to myspace.com and search "Alicia Bonura".

     
  • At Wed Apr 05, 10:28:00 AM, Blogger Jana said…

    I want to comment but I don't know what to say. Just cryin'.

     
  • At Thu Apr 06, 08:11:00 AM, Blogger KentF said…

    Deana - I did the exact same thing - wow is all you can say.

    Kent

     

Post a Comment

<< Home