Deanaland

Saturday, May 19, 2007

Two unrelated thoughts.

Thought #1) Here's part of a letter to the editor from someone in Fayetteville in today's Arkansas Democrat-Gazette that I thought was interesting:

"If the only reason you live a 'moral' life and show compassion to orphaned children and suffering animals is because you have the promise of paradise or the threat of condemnation hanging over your head, then you really have no morals at all, save those forced upon you by the Bible."


BTW -- Chris Benjamin sighting in today's paper! He was quoted in an article about what churches are doing to welcome visitors. He's the pulpit minister at West Ark CoC in Fort Smith.

Thought #2) "I know why gas prices are so high. I think gas stations are trying to save up money to build clean bathrooms." -- comment by Julia Nall earlier today

Labels: , ,

3 Comments:

  • At Sun May 20, 10:43:00 AM, Blogger Keith Brenton said…

    Reactions:

    1) No one has ever underestimated the intelligence of letter-writers to the Arkansas Democrat-Gazette.

    2) Julia, I hope to heaven you're right!

     
  • At Sun May 20, 01:56:00 PM, Blogger Deana Nall said…

    1) In a way, though, I sort of see the guy's point. Should we do good things just for the prize at the end? What was Jesus' motivation for doing good? Something to think about...

    2) I'm still hovering, regardless.

     
  • At Sun May 20, 07:12:00 PM, Blogger sarahdawn said…

    I guess I have to agree with the guy. The difference is that I strive to do good, kind, and generous things not so I'll "get in" in the end but simply because I have felt the love of Christ and I want to share that with others. Of course, there's no way to know why someone is doing a good deed. Ultimately it is between them and God. Good thing His judgement is the only one that counts.

     

Post a Comment

<< Home