Deanaland

Monday, April 30, 2007

Tina

Here is a phone conversation I had this morning:

ME: Hello?

GUY: Uh...Tina?

ME: This is Deana.

GUY: Uh...TEE-na? Or DEE-na?

ME: DEE-na. With a "D."

GUY: (confused silence) Do you live in Cabot?

ME: No.

GUY: I might have the wrong number. See, there's this singles' hook-up service...

ME: (interrupting because I did not want to hear the rest of that) ...then that would definitely not be me.

GUY: Oh.

After hanging up, I noticed the name that showed up with the guy's phone number on my Caller ID. It is "Cheryl." So who is Cheryl? And does Cheryl know about Tina?

So I figure one of a few scenarios is going on here.

1) The guy is married to Cheryl and using her phone to line up dates through a dating service.


2) The guy is Cheryl's son and using her phone to line up dates through a dating service.


3) The guy was married to Cheryl for many years, but, after a long and courageous battle with some dreaded disease, Cheryl passed away -- leaving The Guy a bereaved widower who is now, cautiously and timidly, and with Cheryl's name still on his phone because he can't bring himself to change it -- creeping back out into the dating arena. It took all the gumption he had to join a dating service and then call Tina, and he got me instead.


That third possibility is the main reason I didn't call back demanding to know who Cheryl was and if she knew about Tina. I'm also not into making strangers mad at me who have access to my phone number.

Labels: , , , ,

8 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home