Deanaland

Friday, April 20, 2007

Writer Mama

I've been reading, no, dissecting and studying, this book for a couple of weeks now. I've waited to blog about it, though, because I wasn't sure I could do it justice. For one thing, I'm still taking in all the words on its pages.

But I want my blog world to know about this book now because it is utterly fabulous.

It's called "Writer Mama: How to Raise a Writing Career Alongside Your Kids." It's by Christina Katz and it describes, in very detailed, practical advice, how to become a published writer while being a stay-at-home mom.

I know, I know. I'm already a published writer while being a stay-at-home mom. I'm currently writing for five magazines, and the newspaper back in Baytown has a standing offer to print anything I send them.

"You could have written that book," Chad said, when I told him what it was about.

Well, not really. Although I believe writing is a skill that can always be improved upon, I have the basics down. I know when and where to use "there," "their" and "they're," and, unlike a certain boutique here in Bryant, AR, I know the word "HATS" on a store-window sign should never have an apostrophe.

But I have been completely clueless in this area: how to sell my stuff. I know about cover letters and query letters but I haven't been sure how to write them or when I should send one over the other.

That's why "Writer Mama" is so great. Katz spells out how to do all this stuff. Plus she helps you identify a market and tells you how to become an idea-generating machine amid the chaos that accompanies being at home with young children. And other extremely useful info.

Katz also has a web community of writer mamas and she offers online writing classes. I'm planning on taking one in the fall. I'm adding links to her site and other Writer Mama-type links under "Writing Links" down the side of my blog.

So, Mary Beth P., and Sarah P., and other writer-types I know, get on over to Amazon and get this book. I got mine for twelve bucks. And even if you don't have kids yet, the information in this book is unvaluable. Seriously, I wish I had it ten years ago during my pre-kids years.

Labels: , , ,

3 Comments:

  • At Fri Apr 20, 10:01:00 PM, Blogger Sarah P said…

    I'm intrigued. I've got a collection of how-to-be-a-freelance-writer books that I've depended upon for all my query letters and I've got a fabulous Christian Writer's Market Guide book that I've depended on for contact info for all US editors. I'm glad you told us about this one. I'm looking forward to checking it out. I had already begun to wonder how I'm going to keep up with all of this when I've got a baby on my hip. How in the world do you get an interview done when there is a baby in the next room that could wake up at any moment for no apparent reason?! Looking forward to checking it out... Thanks Deana, oh wise one in the ways of writing. You are my mentor.

     
  • At Sat Apr 21, 05:40:00 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    This may be a book I will add to my collection.

     
  • At Tue Apr 24, 10:09:00 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    You sold me. I bought it. Looks like it might be quite helpful.
    I'm a professional "work from home" photographer who's also attempting to write a book about photography, so this intrigues me. Thanks for sharing.
    Some days I really think working from an office OUTSIDE the home would be easier.

     

Post a Comment

<< Home