Deanaland

Monday, May 14, 2007

Extra fun with Jenna


Jenna's to-do list for today:

1) Scare the holy crap out of Mommy.

Jenna and I had gone to the vet and the post office this morning and then to Wal-Mart, where she seemed fine at first. All of a sudden, she went from happy to whiny before turning white as a sheet and trying to throw up. She never threw up, but when I tried setting her down, her legs buckled underneath her and she went limp and closed her eyes. I picked her up and instead of hooking her legs around my waist like she usually does, her legs just hung there. She would open her eyes but then close them again. So I left our cart full of groceries and raced home. I got her in bed and called our pediatrician. Of course his office is all booked up today. The nurse thought Jenna may have gotten into something -- maybe she found a heartworm pill on the floor at the vet. A call to the vet confirmed that they had just opened for the day and were sure no pills had been spilled on the floor. The nurse said to try and wake her up and if she didn't want to stay awake to take her to the ER. So I woke her up and... she is FINE. She sucked down a sippy cup of juice and asked for more. She also asked about Wal-Mart, which makes me think she doesn't remember leaving there. "Daddy and Sissy went to the baseball game?" she asked. I said yes, they did. (Chad and Julia are on a field trip to see the Arkansas Travelers today.) Now she's on the couch watching Disney and asking for macaroni and cheese.

Here's the wonderful part. Jenna's doctor goes to our church and his son is in our youth group, which means Chad has access to the holy grail for all moms: our pediatrician's cell phone number. Chad called him from the baseball stadium, then he called me and said to bring her in this afternoon and they would work her in. After that phone conversation, my heart started beating normally again.

It's great that she's fine now, but what the heck?? And what if it happens again?

UPDATE: This has nothing to do with Jenna's health, but she asked for a hot dog to go with her macaroni and while I was microwaving the hot dog weenie, the paper towel underneath it caught on fire and burned the hot dog to a crisp. It's always fun, when you're already frazzled, to look across the kitchen and see flames in the microwave.

This is a bit much, even for a Monday.

ANOTHER UPDATE: We're back from the doctor. The EKG was fine and so was her blood count. She did have 102-degree fever, and she fell asleep in my arms in the exam room -- something she never does anymore. The doctor thinks it may just be a fever virus where she feels fine when her fever's down and when it goes up, she just checks out and goes to sleep. We are going to keep her home for a couple of days and keep an eye on her -- I may even sleep with her tonight.

11 Comments:

  • At Mon May 14, 12:46:00 PM, Blogger Jacinda said…

    What a day! Does she maybe have low blood sugar or something?

    I had to pick Gracie up at school today for being sick. Nothing like that, but still sick.

     
  • At Mon May 14, 01:13:00 PM, Blogger Aggiema (Michelle) said…

    How scary for you! I hope the doctor can figure out what was/is wrong! May the rest of your day be uneventful!

     
  • At Mon May 14, 04:47:00 PM, Blogger Lynn said…

    It almost sounds like she had a fever seizure. I know we have kids at school who were fine and their fever would spike up real fast and induce seizure like activity. I know that scared the beejeebers out of you. I hope she is her old self soon!

     
  • At Mon May 14, 04:53:00 PM, Blogger courtney said…

    Maybe it was an allergic reaction to Wal-Mart. She is a Target baby, you know!

    All kidding aside, I hope it is just fever virus and nothing more. How frightening for you! I'll keep little Jenna in my prayers!

     
  • At Mon May 14, 05:30:00 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    How scary. Praying it doesn't happen again.

     
  • At Mon May 14, 07:06:00 PM, Blogger Sarah P said…

    AAAH!! Not funny Jenna! Keep us posted. We'll pray for Jenna. Love you guys.

     
  • At Tue May 15, 07:03:00 AM, Blogger AbbieCRAZY said…

    My daughter had a fever seizure when she was 3 and it scared the @#*&% outta of me!! Eyes rolled back in the head, non-responsive, vomiting without even knowing it, and she didn't talk for 3 hours. We went to the ER. It hasn't happened since.

    Praise God for that cell number. Don't you just love doctors that love your kid?

    Read about it here http://deniselwaldrop.blogspot.com/2006/02/just-facts-mam.html

     
  • At Tue May 15, 04:20:00 PM, Blogger elizabeth said…

    I love "the holy grail" comment! I look at my friends who are doctor's wives and feel a wave of jealousy over their access to prescription pads!

    Sorry you had to go through this. I can't imagine how scary that was!

     
  • At Tue May 15, 07:04:00 PM, Blogger AKat said…

    Poor little thing. I hope she feels better. So, I am jumping over here periodically from Brock's and Sarah's, and may end up linking here if I get the okay from you...because your writings are fun-ny! I'm a misplaced B-townian, too.

     
  • At Wed May 16, 12:23:00 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    Without soundng all stalkery or anything, your doctor is my kids' doctor and we just love him.

    He sent me home (because I INSISTED and am stubborn. And dumb) with sicky-sick Oldest Boy once, and as I left, he pressed his home number into my hand and said, "Call me if he gets worse." He did, and I did. He met us at the hospital and said he couldn't believe I'd talked him into letting us leave and that he'd been PRAYING that everything was all right.

    He is awesome.

    ~Lisa~

     
  • At Wed May 16, 05:06:00 PM, Blogger SG said…

    Even though I'm not a blond I had a moment on you blog today. I was wondering why Mon May was commenting so much!
    That is way too much drama for a Monday! Hope all is better now!

     

Post a Comment

<< Home