Deanaland

Wednesday, October 15, 2008

Tales of the Crypt

Last night, our house church went to Mt. Holly Cemetery in Little Rock for "Tales of the Crypt." It's an annual production put on by students at Little Rock's Parkview Arts & Science Magnet High School. Mt. Holly Cemetery is the final resting place of a number of Arkansas notables, including 11 Arkansas governors and several Confederate Army generals. For "Tales of the Crypt," the audience walks in groups to different graves, where students act out a short dialogue about the historical figure they are portraying. Last night, we heard from the wife of James Dibrell, who started the University of Arkansas for Medical Sciences; William B. Worthen, who started the bank that eventually became the Bank of America; and several others. The actors are all in period costumes and perform at the actual grave of the person they are portraying. That photo up there is of Mount Holly Cemetery in the daytime. Pretty creepy, huh? And we got to walk around it in the dark! It was a lot of fun and very educational. Julia wanted to see David O. Dodd, the young Confederate martyr who reportedly haunts a house not far from our church, but he was on a different part of the tour. We'll try to catch him next year.

In non-Halloween news, I've invented a new sandwich. I want to announce it to the world so I can get full credit. It's a grilled cheese with pepper jack cheese and banana peppers. SO YUM. And vegetarian, to boot! (For those of you keeping score at home, I've been meat-free for over two years now.) I'll never eat a boring old regular grilled cheese again.

Labels: , , , ,

4 Comments:

  • At Thu Oct 16, 07:42:00 AM, Blogger Sarah P said…

    Sorry to rain on your veggie parade, but that sounds nauseating!! I'm so glad you're enjoying it, but keep your banana peppers and give me a plain old grilled cheese any day!
    I'm super impressed that you've been meat free for 2 years. Do you physically feel healthier? I would imagine it's done wonders for you.
    PS- My new favorite grilled cheese is with colby jack and HAVARTI cheese. Makes for a super rich (and quite fattening, I'm sure) sandwich. Yum!

     
  • At Thu Oct 16, 08:43:00 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    I would so love the cemetery tour. I wish they did that here - there's a cemetery in town with lots of cool history! OK, ,CP, go ahead and make fun of me, now!

    Carrie

     
  • At Fri Oct 17, 07:42:00 AM, Blogger Carol said…

    Who is that freak named Carrie??? I bet she reads the obituaries everyday.

    Actually, the tour sounds really cool, creepy, fun and educational all at the same time. Carrie and I would have fun there together. :-)

     
  • At Sun Oct 19, 09:49:00 PM, Blogger Mary Lou said…

    That cemetery tour sounds just so fun. I think our theater could do that around here. I'll have to tell Kim about it.

     

Post a Comment

<< Home