Deanaland

Sunday, November 25, 2007

Ewwww...

I subscribe to Better Homes & Gardens. It's got great articles, photos and recipes. Plus I figure if I keep a copy of it and a couple of Williams-Sonoma catalogs on the coffee table, I will appear to have better taste than I actually do. Anyway, I never see anything in the magazine that scares me. That is until I opened up the latest issue and found this:



It's a gelatin salad containing celery, green onions, cucumbers and vinegar. Some people who reviewed the recipe online said not to judge it by the way it looks because it really is good. But I think I'll keep my veggies separate from my Jell-o, thank you.


Scary recipes aside, here are some things we have been doing this month. Here's Jenna performing at the children's program at the Bible study I go to every week...

... and here's Julia outside the Clinton Presidential Library last weekend.

We also visited Little Rock's River Market that day...

...and spent the afternoon hanging out downtown. Isn't downtown Little Rock cute?

I love seeing the father of my children carry around their girly stuff. Jenna is relatively new to venturing out in big-girl panties, so we have to carry a clean-up kit and complete change of clothes everywhere we go.

Then Tuesday we headed down to Houston for Thanksgiving. We gathered with my brother Brian at my parents' house and met my aunt and uncle from Beaumont for dinner on Thursday. On Saturday, we drove through Baytown on our way home and met Julia's best Baytown friends, Natalie and Meagan, for lunch.

The countdowns are on -- Hannah Montana this Saturday and Meagan and her mom coming to visit exactly one month after that!

Labels: , , ,

9 Comments:

  • At Sun Nov 25, 04:31:00 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    I share your sentiments about the recipe. Ick!

     
  • At Sun Nov 25, 06:06:00 PM, Blogger Sandi said…

    Deana,

    I'm not sure if I've ever commented on your blog before, but I am definitely a frequent lurker (found you from Mike C.'s blog).

    I am totally with you on the green jello -- I would not touch that stuff if someone offered it to me on their dinner table. What in the WORLD??

     
  • At Sun Nov 25, 07:43:00 PM, Blogger Amy S. Grant said…

    I also get that magazine and had the same reaction to the recipe when I saw it! Definitely not your usual BHG dish.

    Your girls are so cute.

     
  • At Sun Nov 25, 08:08:00 PM, Blogger Simpsongirl said…

    Deana,

    Love your blog - read it regularly, although I don't post much. But -- I couldn't resist your veggie jello comments. One of the years I was in the ACU Chorus we toured Eastern Europe. One of the "fancy" treats we were given was gelatin with chunks of chicken, boiled egg and vegetables inside. Yum, right? Very convenient also, because your entire meal is congealed, so nothing ever falls off the plate! Needless to say, it was not a big hit with the Taco Bueno crowd. Your blog today brought back such sweet memories. :-)

     
  • At Sun Nov 25, 09:54:00 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    The geletin recipe reminds me of a 1950's dish.

    Bill Clinton library... I won't even start. Remind me to tell you about the time Patrick and I drove through Hope,AR. It's not bloggable.

    Natalie is the other name we are considering!!! How weird!

    CP

     
  • At Sun Nov 25, 09:57:00 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    Whoops! 'gelatin'
    CP

     
  • At Sun Nov 25, 11:20:00 PM, Blogger Mary Lou said…

    As someone pointed out, it reminds me of a '50's dish. I seem to recall having a jello when I was a kid that had celery and something else in it. Not onions for sure. Maybe carrots...but I thought it was pretty good in green jello.
    You're a good mom to take Julia back to see her Baytown buds. So cool they are coming to Little Rock too!
    Oh & yes, your hubby looks precious with the girly backpack.

     
  • At Mon Nov 26, 11:14:00 AM, Blogger SG said…

    Oh I thought the same thing when i saw that in BHG this month...in fact i had to put the magazine down. YUCK! What were they thinking? I know retro with spice is in but come on!

    Still marvel that you have Hannah Montana tickets... marvel and envy. Kolby was so upset when I was unable to get tickets (at the real ticket price that is ...if I was willing to pay a couple of hundred dollars per ticket...)

    CP~I really wish you would blog so I could keep up with you better. Which is sad being that we live 10 minutes apart and go to the same church! :)

     
  • At Sun Dec 02, 01:36:00 PM, Blogger The Joiners said…

    Ok first of all, this is Amanda Nelson Joiner, twin sister of Allison Nelson Oliver, and of course, cousin of Kelly, Kimberly, & Chaney! So now that you are aware that I, too, stalk your blog, I thought I should let you know something.

    I had a bad dream last night about that gelatin salad. I read your post a few days ago and was grossed out by the picture, and it must have stuck with me. I had a dream that I was substitute teaching and the teacher asked me to make that salad, cover it in frosting, and feed it to the students before she returned. Weird, I know!

     

Post a Comment

<< Home